No announcement yet.

Help! Garlic leaves going yellow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just had a look on this site which implies that the garlic might be short of nitrogen. My garlic looks just like the ones in the piccie, what do others think and how do I get extra nitrogen into the soil?

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    Last edited by selfraising; 31-03-2009, 08:03 PM.
    AKA Angie

Comment

Thats easy peasy pee on them (diluted 50%) chicken pellets, early nettle tea.
      I leave you to decide
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Liquid Gold
        Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Hmmm I think the neighbours might have something to say if they saw me perched over my raised beds peeing. No chicken pellets or nettles, is there anything else I could use?
          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
            Thats easy peasy pee on them (diluted 50%) chicken pellets, early nettle tea.
            I leave you to decide
            Nice image.
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
              Hmmm I think the neighbours might have something to say if they saw me perched over my raised beds peeing. No chicken pellets or nettles, is there anything else I could use?
              Do it in a watering can, or my little girl does it in a bucket for me

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                Do it in a watering can, or my little girl does it in a bucket for me
                hahaha - mine does as well.
                actually, once I've organised a shed for my allotment I plan to set up a compost toilet in it which I can use too Unlike my girl, I'd feel a bit self-conscious perched over a bucket in full view of other allotmenteers...
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Hmmm I think the neighbours might have something to say if they saw me perched over my raised beds peeing. :
                  And imagine how hard that would be whilst grasping a watering can at the same time to ensure the 50% mix.

Glad I looked on here because my garlic has also got slightly yellow tips on some within the last few days. Planted mine out a couple of weeks ago from growing in GH.
                  Last edited by cheerfulness; 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfulness View Post
                    And imagine how hard that would be whilst grasping a watering can at the same time to ensure the 50% mix.

Glad I looked on here because my garlic has also got slightly yellow tips on some within the last few days. Planted mine out a couple of weeks ago from growing in GH.
                    LOL I know I can multi-task but that would be a real challenge Take it it needs to be female pee which is a shame otherwise I could've asked OH to do his duty
                    AKA Angie

Comment

lol... such memorable images of life in Farnham and Gloucester! I hardly like to reintroduce yellow garlic leaves coz seems a bit boring by comparison but….

The outermost leaf (only) of all my Lautrec Wight has gone yellow but the adjacent bed of Solent Wight garlic (both lots purchased from seed merchants) is, at the moment anyway, fine and dandy. Fearing the white rot symptoms described here I yanked one out to see if there was any white fluffy stuff around the roots and no, no white fluffy stuff, the roots are sound, in the fact the roots are the healthiest bit. What isn’t so clever is the outer layer of the stem at the point it emerges from the soil is soggy/slimy - no unpleasant smell but doesn’t seem right…. Looking through ‘garlic diseases’ the one that most accurately fits it is “neck rot” but none of the other symptoms (such as most common just before harvesting) seem to fit… Then I read that as the single planted clove is consumed as food for the creation of a new bulb it inevitably goes soggy…. - at which point I was well confused! Anyone any idea what this one is, please and how to treat it if treatment needed? White rot in disguise? I’m inclined to burn all the Lautrec Wights in an attempt to save the other bed but am not particularly optimistic.

Any ideas? Then we can get back to the interesting stuff! b.

Comment

Bazzaboy, who would have thought it in rural Farnham and Gloucester eh?

I'm still trawling the internet but at the mo can't find an answer to your problem, hope someone can help. I've got a feeling mine was Lautrec Wight too only can't find the packaging to be sure (know it was one of the 'wight' ones).

Does anyone know if Seeweed extract is high in Nitrogen, cos i've got some of that!
                        AKA Angie

Comment

LOL I know I can multi-task but that would be a real challenge Take it it needs to be female pee which is a shame otherwise I could've asked OH to do his duty
                          SR next time I pop in I might just shout from the front! Not sure what would be more disturbing, you in your jammies with a torch or Mr SR doing his bit for the garlic
                          Have I told youlately you are a bit bonkers? in a good kind of way.........
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                            SR next time I pop in I might just shout from the front! Not sure what would be more disturbing, you in your jammies with a torch or Mr SR doing his bit for the garlic
                            Have I told youlately you are a bit bonkers? in a good kind of way.........

Look this thread is definately going down the pan What about my garlic??
                            AKA Angie

Comment

I have garlic planted in two pots - they seem fine except that some of the leaves are yellow, not just at the tips, but going to about half way down. Other leaves are green and look fine.

the yellow leaf thing started before Christmas. I've been feeding them at irregular intervals, first with chicken manure pellets dissolved in water, then with seaweed feed.

I took Womble's tip about the white rot and I don't think there's any there, so I'm not really worried about them - thanks, Womble.

I feel I probably let them dry out from time to time, being that we get so much rain I didn't always think to check on them during dry times. I've become more vigilant about that now, as I feel, being in pots, they can dry out quickly.

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you, SR, but this thread has been a great help to me.
                              Last edited by maytreefrannie; 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM.
                              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Look this thread is definitely going down the pan
                                I think we are going toi-let the thread go where it wants

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X