• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dear dear dear
    terrible talk all this urine

by the way selfraising
    what is your raised bed watering system
    i can see a piece of hose sticking out there??
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by lyndap View Post
      My garlic in pots look the same.I'm going to sprinkle some chicken pellets around them.Sorry to lower the tone again,but I thought urine had to be from the male of the species,cos female urine has to many hormones in it!!!??? confused!!!
      I thought I read somewhere that male urine (diluted of course) was better for plants - something to do with being stronger or what-all.

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
      I think I might have got my pee mixed up
      Mixed up with what? 'cause if it's with equal quantities of water, apparently it'll do a power of good to your garlic!
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Good job I didn't pee on it then, that would have probably finished it off!
        AKA Angie

Comment

My onions and shallots are just the same
          planted them in the autumn. The bulbs feel and look very sound, the tips of the leaves are yellow/white'ish. they dont look at all happy!
          Help! what have i done wrong?

Comment

hi headfry, the consensus of opinion seems to be it could be a lack of Nitrogen, you could try adding nitrogen which is what i have just done.
            AKA Angie

Comment

So how did you get nitrogen on them in the end?
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                Thats easy peasy pee on them (diluted 50%) chicken pellets, early nettle tea.
                I leave you to decide

Originally posted by womble View Post
                So how did you get nitrogen on them in the end?

Hi Selfraising, so what did you give them? Pee, poo or potion?

I've been giving mine a fairly weak seaweed feed in water for the past few weeks and I think it's helping - at least I think they look better anyway.
                Last edited by maytreefrannie; 07-04-2009, 08:07 AM.
                My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Selfraising, thanks for that- I have chicken poo will that do or might get some liquid seaweed for them!
                  Thanks again!

Comment

Glad I read this thread (despite all the peeing!) - my onions raised from seed are looking a bit yellow. Time for a good soaking with sea-wee'd solution, methinks

Comment

I used seaweed feed and then Fiona H kindly brought me over some chicken poo pellets so they've had those as well! I have to say that they're not looking too bad at the mo. Don't think the yellowing will miraculously disappear but the stems are starting to thicken up.
                      AKA Angie

Comment

I reckon you should get out there SR and read em a bed time story

*runs and hides
                        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

they look exactly like mine, the very tip of the outer leaves is yellow, but they all look healthy, and growing strongly, so I'm not worried.
                          Of course, if they all flop over soon I will be

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                            I reckon you should get out there SR and read em a bed time story

*runs and hides
                            I've tried that, I read the one about the 3 little garlic bulbs but they weren't impressed
                            AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
                              lol... such memorable images of life in Farnham and Gloucester! I hardly like to reintroduce yellow garlic leaves coz seems a bit boring by comparison but….

The outermost leaf (only) of all my Lautrec Wight has gone yellow but the adjacent bed of Solent Wight garlic (both lots purchased from seed merchants) is, at the moment anyway, fine and dandy. Fearing the white rot symptoms described here I yanked one out to see if there was any white fluffy stuff around the roots and no, no white fluffy stuff, the roots are sound, in the fact the roots are the healthiest bit. What isn’t so clever is the outer layer of the stem at the point it emerges from the soil is soggy/slimy - no unpleasant smell but doesn’t seem right…. Looking through ‘garlic diseases’ the one that most accurately fits it is “neck rot” but none of the other symptoms (such as most common just before harvesting) seem to fit… Then I read that as the single planted clove is consumed as food for the creation of a new bulb it inevitably goes soggy…. - at which point I was well confused! Anyone any idea what this one is, please and how to treat it if treatment needed? White rot in disguise? I’m inclined to burn all the Lautrec Wights in an attempt to save the other bed but am not particularly optimistic.

Any ideas? Then we can get back to the interesting stuff! b.
                              Just back on the slimy mess at the bottom of garlic topic.....I dug up my second batch of moon garlics today, and the soggy mess that was on the first batch has now gone on the second batch......on one there was a little dry papery stuff left so I am assuming that the soggy stuff has broken down and disappeared.

Comment

Just noticed today that the tips of my garlic are going yellow. This garlic is from last year's that I did not dig up in time before it sort of split and disappeared. If I go and dig the roots tomorrow and find no white mold on them, can I use dried blood for Nitrogen? Otherwise, I'll make my OH feel useful.

Also, they might be too deep in the soil. I have no idea where as I dug and dug and found little to nothing last year.

Actually, I suspect I might have had onion white rot in a section of the allium patch when it got hot. Some of the stored shallots are disintegrating with some black, round mold. If this is the case, then I am going to have bad luck in the allium section this year because I have already planted a lot of onions.

I have read that one can use garlic spray to trick the fungus into reproducing when there are no alliums planted in the Summer thus killing it.

I have also just read that one can use corn meal as a natural fungicide. A university found that some crop had less of a problem with fungal diseases when it followed a crop of corn. Apparently, it attracts some good fungus that kills the bad ones. Anyone here tried that?

Of course, I think it is still probably too cool outside for white onion rot to be a problem, so I might have both problems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X