Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chitting problem...

Hi all,

I bought a few kilos of Rocket potatoes (first earlies) I thought it was too early to start chitting them - so I put them in a cardboard box under sthe stairs where it cool and dark.

Having left them there for 2 weeks - I checked them and to my horror they've all a sprouted unhealthy looking white shoots all between half and and one inch long.

What do I do!?!? - Knock them all off and start them again in the light? Or leave them on and hope light turns them green!!

Disaster!!

Comment

Get them out into the light and they should thicken up.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post
        Hi all,

I bought a few kilos of Rocket potatoes (first earlies) I thought it was too early to start chitting them - so I put them in a cardboard box under sthe stairs where it cool and dark.

Having left them there for 2 weeks - I checked them and to my horror they've all a sprouted unhealthy looking white shoots all between half and and one inch long.

What do I do!?!? - Knock them all off and start them again in the light? Or leave them on and hope light turns them green!!

Disaster!!
        This happened to mine and tattieman said to rub them off which I have done and they seem to be ok so far, try it on a few first.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

Hi Jimmer.

You've still got 6 odd weeks before they go in [at least], so plenty of time to rub them off and get new ones growing. They probably would be fine if you left them on as well - just get them in the light if you can.

Comment

Yeah Knock the sprouts off and start again. My new top tip is place on a North facing window so that they get light but not too much direct sun light.
            Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
              Yeah Knock the sprouts off and start again. My new top tip is place on a North facing window so that they get light but not too much direct sun light.
              What happens if they get too much light?
              http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Direct sunlight will dry them out and make them useless for planting.
                Potato videos here.

Comment

We grow only reds for main crops as they are much more slug resistant on our ground and we do make an effort to chit them.

For a change we are growing pentland javelin as our early crop and we dont make any special effort to chit them, if they do they do. They go into the ground in late March, dependant upon the weather. Some get planted now in barrels in the heated greenhouse for harvesting in May.

Comment

Just ordered mine (Pentland Javelin, Kestrel and Sante). It's the one time I actually appreciate the French doors of my kitchen. North facing, they're nice and bright without getting much sunshine. Chitted well last year.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                      Direct sunlight will dry them out and make them useless for planting.
                      Argh! Mine have been sitting on a south facing windowsill, they've got lots of sprouts though. I hope they will be ok, will move them to a north facing window!
                      http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Growing spuds in Hessian Sacks?

I was given two new 25kg Hessian sacks and was wondering if they would be ok for growing spuds, they look quite big but not sure if they would be big enough, I have about 50 seed spuds I brought today so I guess I would need quite a few sacks.
                        Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Herby, I'm all for container veg and it's a neat idea to think of growing potatoes in a sack more usually standard for storing them... BUT i think you might run into problems. Subjected to constant damp for weeks the sacks will begin to rot so might split; if they let light in through the weave the crop could be ruined, difficult to keep damp etc. It's not difficult to find better alternatives - these days there's varieties of "patio grow bags" available for potatoes or a cheaper alternative is heavy-duty plastic compost bags (use two, one in t'other, if translucent) - more discreet if turned inside-out (usually black inside) with a few drainage holes in the base; about 5 seed spuds per bag. Then if appropriate you can use your dry hessian sacks for storage!
                          b.

Comment

Agree with Bazz......I'll second wot he said!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I also have to agree with Bazz. A couple of years ago we were given some sand bags by the council in a failed attempt to prevent flooding. Afterwards I thought the sandbags might come in useful should the need for flood defences arise again. I gathered all the sand bags together but could not put them undercover. Within weeks the hesian had rotted and I was left with a pile of sand and a few bits of mouldy, rotting hesian.
                              It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

you could try them with a black binbag inside it would keep out the light and would keep off the damp might work cant see why not

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X