Chitting and planting potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chitting potatoes

I've just started mine too - but was warned to keep them away from frost, in a cool, light place out of direct sunlight.

I've gone for Pink Fir Apple variety

Comment

Seed pots not chitting?

Hi, Just wondering whether anyone else has some dud seed potatoes that aren't chitting?

I've only bought 15 so far and 12 are fine, but 2 Kestrel and 1 Nadine seed potatoes don't seem to be chitting. They are smaller than the rest, have fewer eyes and no sprouts have shown - they've been on the windowsill for two weeks now I think. All the others are happily sprouting away!

Do you think they are just slow starters? Will they grow sprouts eventually? Is there any point planting them in the spring?
      http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd give them a bit longer Jenegade. I think we're talking patience here.
        Or you might want to try this. Fill a seed tray or pot with damp compost and press the potatoes into it. They grow roots and top shoots.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Just because a seed potatoe does not chitt does not make them a dud you can still plant them.

Chitting gives them a better start. Like Alice says it could a waiting game.
          aka Neil

Comment

2 weeks isn't much. Some take a fair bit longer than that. After all, you can't plant them outside till March/April.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I thought mine had been got by the frost last year and gone funny.. posted worried pics and everything!
              Turns out they had chitted and I didn't even realise - doh!

I am sure yours will all be fine once planting out comes.

Comment

yeah don't panic, you have 5-6 weeks before you can plant them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  I'll be doing mine in what we laughingly call the conservatory which in actual fact is a lean too which varies between a dumping ground, cat feeding zone and really really handy place for propogating, by March there'll be no free space what so ever.
                  *lol* Sounds a lot like my conservatory, even though mine is a real conservatory - not one of the really grand ones with a brick wall up to about two feet and proper windowsills and all, just double-glazed all round with a tiled floor. Gets hot as Hell in summer and rather cold in winter, but in spring and autumn it's perfect

I got my spuds at the Garden Organic potato day on Saturday - 18p each, which is great if you just want a few of several different varieties, for growing in bags/pots. Got some International Kidney, Epicure, Amorosa, Rooster and Mayan Gold - sadly they were out of Anya and Pink Fir Apple by the time we got there

They're in the conservatory in their paper bags at the moment, but I think I will start chitting them after the full moon. Last year I came back from a holiday in late January to find my spuds sprouting, because it was so mild, but I don't think that will be a problem this year!
                  Last edited by Eyren; 28-01-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I have had mine chitting for three weeks ready for the poly tunnel but I have had them in the utility room where the tumble dryer does its stuff- Do you think I should move them to a cooler place?

Regards

Pat
                    "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Please don't shoot me for asking another potato question...!

Although there are about a gazillion threads on seed potatoes and chitting (and I’ve read most of them – honest!) I’m afraid I still have a question. I’ve followed all the advice so far, have bunged my seed tats on the windowsill in eggboxes and whatnot, and they are indeed starting to sprout. But all 30 of them are sprouting blue/black chits not green! As the worried teenager asks the doctor – is this normal? They don’t look rotten or anything, just very, very darkly coloured. The variety is rocket, by the way.

Interestingly, the Arran Pilot and Desiree I am storing in a paper sack in my shed to chit later this month are now all starting to sprout nice green chits. Grrr. Have I bought some kind of weird vampire spuds that only come out at when its dark?

Woof
                      Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

Some are very much darker than others. I wouldn't worry about it.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As Flum said, I am sure they are fine.

As it's a query that others could have, I'm going to merge it with the main chitting thread.

Comment

found some spuds growing in cupboard

Hi all I found a bag of spuds growing in the cupboard just starting to sprout any good to plant?
                            After all the digging needed to keep the weeds down yes that will be me one day.
                            Just started on the plot or was that loosing the plot.

Keen to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by weed reaper View Post
                              Hi all I found a bag of spuds growing in the cupboard just starting to sprout any good to plant?
                              i planted a load last year and had a decent crop

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                                i planted a load last year and had a decent crop
                                when do I plant and harvest them newbie question
                                After all the digging needed to keep the weeds down yes that will be me one day.
                                Just started on the plot or was that loosing the plot.

Keen to learn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X