No announcement yet.

Chitting and planting potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonaxe you can get seed potatoes from all garden centres at the moment.
    There are plenty varieties to grow and choose from.
    Potato videos here.

Comment

• I've planted my Maris Peers:

How does that look?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cosmo and Dibs View Post
        I've planted my Maris Peers:

How does that look?
        Like you have a mole that has a straight edge
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

• Is it ok, though?

Comment

• is that frost in that pic C&D?
            Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
            Independent Minds

Comment

• As I am new to this I am hoping you would kindly help me. I have a 9 year old daughter who has decided she wants to grow potatoes. That's great, but I am not sure how to do this in a tub. I have a tub that is about 3' high and about 10" square. Could you please tell me how many potatoes does she put in the tub? I have been told to layer them e.g. put in gravel, 8" of compost, potatoe, cover with more compost. When this starts to get greenery on the top, cover with another few inches of compost, potatoe etc and carry on until the last potatoe is near the top. Is this the correct way ?. . . it appears to be an odd way of doing it. I do hope you can help.

Kind regards

Sharon.

Comment

• Sharon, I've taken your post from the Potato bucket one, and moved it here. If you have a read through - there's lots of advice on here about growing potatoes - including Tattieman's video.

Comment

• Hi Sharon and welcome to the vine. You nearly got it right except you only have one layer of about 4 potatoes on the bottom layer and then just keep adding layers of compost as the greenery grows. Never completely cover the green bit unless there is a frost forecast. Good luck to your little girl with her adventure of growing potatoes.

Ian

Comment

• my little boy is two and a half and wowed everyone at his pre-school by showing THEM how to plant seed potatoes!!!

you'll be so proud when she does it
                    Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
                      is that frost in that pic C&D?
                      No, it's not frost.

It's just that the sun was beating down on it and the soil has gone bone dry on top like concrete. Its moist underneath, though.

Comment

• Thanks Ian, I will take your advice and my daughter will plant her potatoes tomorrow. I will keep you updated on how my daughter gets on.

Sharon :O)

Comment

• Can you earth up with the organic mulch I'm going to use (chipped bark)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharon B View Post
                            Thanks Ian, I will take your advice and my daughter will plant her potatoes tomorrow. I will keep you updated on how my daughter gets on.

Sharon :O)
                            no problem
                            do keep us posted
                            my son's ones have just started peeping out with greenery!!
                            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X