X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did today 2024.

A new thread for a new year.

Here's last years thread for comparison :-

What I did today 2023. - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
    Location....East Midlands.

A few days ago, I dug up my unwanted plum tree and gave it away.
    Today, I planted my new pear tree in its place.
    I also finished building my new raised pallet bed, lined the sides with plastic sheeting, and started filling the bottom with garden waste.

Comment

Tidied the GF, collected twigs and branches from the last storm. Cut down my autumn bliss raspberries and tied blackberries to their wires.

Comment

This morning I dug out several raspberry cains from the decorative side of the garden, then planted some daffodil bulbs, by the time I was ready to replant the raspberries it was heavy rain, so only got five of them replanted with several still to do. In the greenhouse I installed a heating cable into the raised bed, where I now intend sowing some lettuce and rocket, till I can get some tomatoes planted.
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Had a greenhouse sort of overwintering things from very cold weather, they are out in the rain for now.
          Sowing of seeds.
          Light rain on and off but heavier now.
          Northern England.

Comment

Tidied the remaining paths on the allotment and put down more bark chips. Sowed more peas as only a handful of the autumn sown ones were still there.
            And fixed the gap in the fence in the garden.
            Last edited by MelanieSW; 17-02-2024, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Spent a couple days digging out my strawberry bed, which had become inundated with couch grass. I transplanted the good strawberries to a temporary home, and cleared all of the couch. Next I plant to swap the top 3 inches or so of soil for that of another bed and then replant the strawberries (you're probably thinking it would be easier just to move the strawberry bed, but this bed is only suitable for shallow-rooted permanent planting, due to its proximity to a grape vine and raspberries, so it basically has to remain a strawberry bed).

Comment

Made a start pruning the apple trees, could only do what I could reach whilst standing as the ground is way too sodden for a ladder and we've more rain to come!
                Pruned one rose, more to do.
                Last edited by peanut; 23-02-2024, 08:57 AM.
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Grafted a few peppers, chillis and tomatoes.
                  Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Finally sowed various varieties ofonions, leeks, chillies, aubergines, salad and some flowers for pollinators like cosmos, echinacea and delphinium.

Comment

Gave the pocket handkerchief lawn its first cut of the year, then dug up a couple of hedge stumps. Hope to do a few more tomorrow before it starts raining.
                      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Potted up the last of my assorted lettuce seedlings.

Comment

Do you just have one per pot?
                          Northern England.

Comment

CG in all I've potted up 48 seedling one in each module, they'll stay in there until I plant them in garden beds, troughs and buckets. Usually 3-4 to a bucket, treating them as cut and come again.

Comment

Thanks . I've only done salad as cut and come again in big troughs not in the ground. Id fear for their lives with the slugs.
                              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X