Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have started some wilja in a couple of containers today in the greenhouse as I intend planting my potatoes in containers every fortnight to see if it staggers the harvesting, I have sufficient containers for this and it frees up the ground for other veg
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Planted my first and second earlies a couple days ago.
      First earlies (two Home Guard and two Lady Crystl) in bottomless buckets, and second earlies 10 Nicola in the ground, covered with black plastic now to warm the soil a bit.

Comment

There's only a limited selection of seed potato varieties in the shops here. They are often very new varieties that I've never heard of, and many of them are waxy when I prefer floury ones like Records or Kerr's Pinks. But I found some minitubers of Mozart in a local shop, a variety which I quite like for eating, so I bought a pack of them.

Comment

Planted out our chitted potatoes yesterday (Charlotte and a few Desiree) using the No dig method with loads of straw on top.
          Not tried this method before.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
            I planted one Charlotte potato in a large pot in the greenhouse as a wee experiment. We shall see …..
            Looking like the experiment will work. Got a health plant in the greenhouse pot. Guess I will be looking to harvest at the end of this month ?

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post

Looking like the experiment will work. Got a health plant in the greenhouse pot. Guess I will be looking to harvest at the end of this month ?
              Try putting a hand in to grab a few letting the plants carry on growing because if the leaves still look healthy they could still have some growing to do,if the leaves are dying down that’s a good sign they’re ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Planted out our chitted potatoes yesterday (Charlotte and a few Desiree) using the No dig method with loads of straw on top.
                Not tried this method before.
                One month on and we’ve had to put another layer of straw on top of the first layer as the leaves were starting to show.

Well done Annie!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos last year I planted a couple of pink firapples in a pot and used grass to cover them, I topped up every time I cut the grass and in the end got a sufficient crop to give us a couple of meals,. Not sure if a different type of grass would have made a difference, this year I am growing some in leaves
                  Last edited by rary; 08-05-2023, 11:33 AM.
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I have just bought some Wilja potatoes to grow in buckets for Christmas. The question is, as compost is so expensive, can't I just use garden soil with some potato fertilizer mixed in ? I mean, they go in the ground anyway other times of the year.
                    Last edited by Marb67; 20-08-2023, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                      I have just bought some Wilja potatoes to grow in buckets for Christmas. The question is, as compost is so expensive, can't I just use garden soil with some potato fertilizer mixed in ? I mean, they go in the ground anyway other times of the year.
                      Potatoes will grow in almost anything. I use home made compost for some of my buckets and used compost from other crops for the rest. I add bfb to both at planting and feed at times during growth. The homemade compost always results in a bigger crop, but if you are wanting new potatoes it probably won't make that much difference as long as you feed them. Sufficient water is just as important as feed.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Link to the 2024 thread.

Seed Potatoes for 2024 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X