Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve tried Nicola a few times & some other second earlies like British Queen but judging them (in my head) over the years,I found charlottes have the best yield & they taste great too.
    They don’t sell Lady Christl here anymore,I haven’t grown them for years,they were good but they were the only variety I ever had blackleg on,it wasn’t bad it just affected one tuber,others in the bag were fine. Maybe they’re not as wanted as other varieties in the GC I don’t know why they stopped selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      I’ve tried Nicola a few times & some other second earlies like British Queen but judging them (in my head) over the years,I found charlottes have the best yield & they taste great too...
      I guess its all subjective, but here in this part of Wiltshire Nicola gets the thumbs up as small salad spuds and then big yield if left to grow on. Oh and big spuds that taste good as bakers.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Apparently my potatoes are being delivered tomorrow. Excited.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
          Apparently my potatoes are being delivered tomorrow. Excited.
          They arrived and very happy with the quality. The 2kg bag of charlottes has 25 potatoes in it so will give some away as I don’t have that much space to grow them all in the garden. Was thinking I would try growing a couple in a bag/pot in the unheated greenhouse now so I get a very early crop. Would the lady christl or Charlotte be best for that?

Comment

They arrived and very happy with the quality. The 2kg bag of charlottes has 25 potatoes in it so will give some away as I don’t have that much space to grow them all in the garden. Was thinking I would try growing a couple in a bag/pot in the unheated greenhouse now so I get a very early crop. Would the lady christl or Charlotte be best for that?
            I'd guess Charlotte's, I think they are the variety you see as a 'Christmas' spud. Bit of info on T&M site:
            https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/po...ping/WKB6456TM

Comment

Today I finally bought my first earlies seed potatoes, trying Arran Pilot for the first time.
              Maincrop will be mainly Vitelotte Noire as usual (growing them in barrels) and a few Bamberger Hörnchen (German heritage variety), both saved from last year.

Comment

I planted one Charlotte potato in a large pot in the greenhouse as a wee experiment. We shall see …..

Comment

I planted one Charlotte potato in a large pot in the greenhouse as a wee experiment. We shall see …..
                  From the T&M link:
                  "Second cropping potatoes are perfect for producing delicious new potatoes in autumn and right up to Christmas! These tubers are held back by growers under cold conditions until late summer so that you can plant them later in the season. They need to be kept frost free, so they make excellent crops for growing in bags in the greenhouse or in sheltered veggie plots."

Comment

Well, I tried not to buy any more potatoes but I failed and have bought some Anya. I will not be buying any more...
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Bought my seed potatoes today, but I couldn't get all of the varieties I wanted. My local garden centre does them loose for £2.25/kg.
                      I got Home Guard and Lady Cristl for first early.
                      They didn't have Jazzy this year, so I got Nicola for second early salad (it's a new Which Best Buy, anyway).
                      They didn't have Stemster either, so I got Setanta for roasting.
                      Last edited by ameno; 06-02-2023, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                        Bought my seed potatoes today, but I couldn't get all of the varieties I wanted. My local garden centre does them loose for £2.25/kg.
                        I got Home Guard and Lady Cristl for first early.
                        They didn't have Jazzy this year, so I got Nicola for second early salad (it's a new Which Best Buy, anyway).
                        They didn't have Stemster either, so I got Setanta for roasting.
                        Nicola is my favourite
                        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I've bought 20 tubers of each variety of: Pink Fir Apple (salad), Sagitta (white 2nd early), Valor (white main), Manitou (Red main). All are chitting nicely in the unheated back bedroom and at £1.95 a kilo an absolute steal especially as they are pyo and I was picking out the smaller tubers, bargain.
                          The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

I’ve got 40 Charlotte chitting along with 6 tiny Desiree we dug up in the autumn.
                            I’m thinking of maybe ordering some Jacket type spuds but I don’t think we’ll have the room now OH is going to make raised beds.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I am trying Sarpo Mira and Sarpo Uno this year - not tried them before. And putting some in 30l pots as a trial.
                              Am following Huws Garden - he is very keen on spuds in pots.
                              Last edited by mrsbusy; 03-03-2023, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Charlottes... always Charlottes. Can't go wrong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X