This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Potatoes for 2023

What potatoes will you be growing for 2023 ?

A link to last years thread :- Seed Potatoes for 2022 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
    Location....East Midlands.

Debating what to this year. Am thinking charlottes and Maris piper. Also want a first early waxy one. Swift or rocket maybe? Thoughts welcome. Fancied trying that thing Mr Bones did last year where he put a few potatoes in a sack in the greenhouse in Jan to get an early crop.

Comment

^If you can find Dunluce anywhere, they get a big thumbs up from me. We loved them, but they disappeared for a few years and now, post-Brexit, I can't get them here anymore. No idea about this vendor, but some details about what Dunluce is like: https://www.dundrynurseries.co.uk/de...0&name=Dunluce

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        ^If you can find Dunluce anywhere, they get a big thumbs up from me. We loved them, but they disappeared for a few years and now, post-Brexit, I can't get them here anymore. No idea about this vendor, but some details about what Dunluce is like: https://www.dundrynurseries.co.uk/de...0&name=Dunluce
        Dunluce are a lovely spud.........and Dundry nurseries are brilliant, I've been getting my potatoes there for the last 20 years. Unfortunately my preferred main crop, Victoria, are a casualty of Brexit but I've found Mozart and Marvel acceptable alternatives

Comment

I'm on the other side, Ger-annie-um. I can't buy Dunluce any more.

Good to hear Dundree Nurseries get your thumbs up, though. They have a huge range of potatoes. And being able to buy small numbers or individual tubers is great for people wanting to try new varieties.
          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-01-2023, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I will probably just grow my usual Lady Christl and Desiree this year, saving both from last year's crop. I'm not sure that Lady Christl is available any more - I have grown from my own for the last 4 years.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I’ll be buying Charlottes again this year when the local corn merchant has them for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                I will probably just grow my usual Lady Christl and Desiree this year, saving both from last year's crop. I'm not sure that Lady Christl is available any more - I have grown from my own for the last 4 years.
                https://www.dundrynurseries.co.uk/de...me=Lady_Crystl

Might be worth asking?

Comment

Noticed lady Christl were available from Jamieson brothers so ordered some along with charlottes and kind edwards.

Comment

Thanks Snoop Puss and annie8.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'll be growing my saved Nicola potatoes, I find them tastier than my old fav's Charlotte.
                      Will be trying not to buy anymore!
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Bought my Charlotte seed potatoes this morning from the local corn merchant they’re now chitting on their egg trays.

Comment

I haven't bought mine yet (I usually buy them at the beginning of February, from my local garden centre which sells them loose), but as long as I can get them I plan to grow Home Guard (early), Jazzy (second early salad), and Stemster (maincrop for roasting) again.
                          I was very impressed with Stemster last year. It was the first time I had grow it (I grew Rooster before), and despite the heat and the drought, and despite the plants getting blight and having to be cut down by mid-August, I still got a huge crop (I think it was about 32kg from 16 plants). Far better than Rooster ever did. And they roast well and taste good, too.
                          Jazzy were good, too. They're like Charlotte, but I think better. Taste and texture are just as good as Charlotte, and yield is around the same, too, but they set lots of tubers, so you get lots of small to medium potatoes, which is what you want for salad potatoes. I've found with Charlotte that if you leave them until the plant is mature you end up with a fair number of quite large tubers (obviously you could dig them early, but they you get a smaller yield).

I have also ordered some blue potatoes (Blue Annelise) online, to be delivered in March.
                          Last edited by ameno; 19-01-2023, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I bought mine yesterday,Desiree,Charlottes & Sharpes Express,they don’t sell them singularly anymore so I’ve got more than I can plant out probably but I should plant as many as I can,I didn’t have much time to plant out loads last year,need to make more time,get the important jobs in order because sometimes I go out there & get really distracted with things that aren’t an emergency,I should make more lists & stick to the list (thats the difficult part for me ).

Comment

Hope there's some Lady Christl (1st early) around at the garden centre, to buy by weight. Big bags full are too much for us.

All you Charlotte spud buyers have none of you tried Nicola? Prefer them to Charlotte.

Might look for some Ratte or similar waxy spud.
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X