Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting reading about how you are all growing aubergines, I have 3 plants ( bought ones) in pots, looking ok, was thinking of putting them outside on allotment plot? Is that a silly idea? Would I be better keeping them on my patio?

Sorry if I’ve ‘jumped in ‘ on your post

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post

Sorry if I’ve ‘jumped in ‘ on your post
      Jump, jump. Jumping in is good.

​​​​​​I have no experience of growing aubergines outside I am afraid but I suspect others on here will have.
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I did grow a couple of plants outside a couple of years ago, were very good with fruit weighing 12-14 ounces, but haven’t been successful growing from seed, so I cheated this year!

Comment

Buying plants isn't cheating.

Around here alll the commercial brocoli (and in West Cornwall the term embraces cauliflower also) is grown from plants.

Buying finished product from sainsburys is cheating.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I buy plants. I don't think it would be possible for me to grow them otherwise. I don't think it's cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
              Interesting reading about how you are all growing aubergines, I have 3 plants ( bought ones) in pots, looking ok, was thinking of putting them outside on allotment plot? Is that a silly idea? Would I be better keeping them on my patio?
              Glad you've joined us Dorothy We've grown them outside before but they need a good warm summer and a sheltered spot to do any good round here.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

What size pots does everyone use for their aubergines? I keep reading anything from 5 (RHS) to 10 litres (somewhere else!)
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                  What size pots does everyone use for their aubergines? I keep reading anything from 5 (RHS) to 10 litres (somewhere else!)
                  Ours do well in Morrisons flower buckets (9in pots)
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

Ours do well in Morrisons flower buckets (9in pots)
                    Thanks Mr Bones, I grow my toms in Morrisons buckets, must get some more.
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Our pots are about 11l if my math for the volume of a truncated cone is right. About 300mm across the top.

BUT they sit in a sand tray (picture a large propagation tray). The sand is kept wet and is a mass of roots at the end of the season.

Sort of semi ring culture.

Comment

BTW we have our first fruit set. About 20mm across. Pic somewhat digitally fiddled to make the fruit visible in the poor light.

First flower fell off due to aphids but the little aphidus wasps biological control seem to be earning their keep now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_101049.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	2546364

Comment

Lost the first two fruits to rot. BER probably though not actually at the blossom end. Allowed to dry out too much - always a danger with big leafy plants in relatively small amounts of compost in a warm greenhouse.

Still, third one is doing well. They swell fast once they get to this stage

Name:	Compress_20220606_165818_8012.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2546926

Comment

Looking good there, QW. My plants are still quite small. Not been in the ground long (bought Friday 31 May), so early days yet. There are two of us. I bought six plants...
                            Last edited by Snoop Puss; 07-06-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Looking good quanglewangle - Have to have a peek at ours now
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

First aubergine harvested.

Name:	IMG_20220615_091809.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2547421

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X