No announcement yet.

Tomatoes 2021

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For two of us, I tend to grow about 8 and give spares away. This year we have Honeycomb, Sweet Aperitif, Costoluto Fiorentino, Pink Tiger, Purple Ukraine, Opalka, and Rosa de Barbastro. No San Marzano Redorta this year - trying some other contenders for sauces and soups!

Hoping for lots of colour and flavour (and a freezer full of pasta sauce for the next year)

Comment

New : Green Sausage
      Indigo Blue Berry
      Red Accordion
      Wapsipinicon Peach

Growing for a second year :
      Blue Keyes
      Hillbilly
      Honeycomb

They're all under grow lights now, mid May they will go outdoors. No space in the greenhouse, it's all reserved for the chillies

Comment

Black cherry, yellow pear (cherry type), red alert, tigerella, money maker, roma.
        Much higher germination rate than expected, will be giving some away to mates!

Comment

R.S.Fred I usually sow far to many Toms but this yeas I cut down and only ended up with 3 spares they shouldn’t be a problem to find homes for.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've gone completely different this year.

Purple Russian
            Noire de Crimee
            Banana Legs
            Tomande

And im holding out hope that someone will gift me a sungold plant as i totally forgot to grow any!
            "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
            - Henry Beard

Comment

Sowed my tomatoes back in February. I sowed a few miniatures foran early crop. Red Robin, Balcony Red and Tommy Toe. The Balcony Red has flower buds that are just opening.
              My others for this year.
              Salisaw Cafe.
              Homose.
              Father Frost.
              Derby Stripe,
              Blaby.
              Black Icicle.
              Sungold..
              Sweet Aperitif.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                Sowed my tomatoes back in February. I sowed a few miniatures foran early crop. Red Robin, Balcony Red and Tommy Toe. The Balcony Red has flower buds that are just opening.
                My others for this year.
                Salisaw Cafe.
                Homose.
                Father Frost.
                Derby Stripe,
                Blaby.
                Black Icicle.
                Sungold..
                Sweet Aperitif.
                I grew up next to the village of Blaby, I wonder if that variety is connected to the place, not one I have come across before.

Comment

I’m growing just three varieties. Sungold, Gardeners Delight and Grand Marmande. My seedlings are now six inches high. Can anyone tell me the lowest temperature they can tolerate. I have an unheated greenhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Daze View Post
                    I’m growing just three varieties. Sungold, Gardeners Delight and Grand Marmande. My seedlings are now six inches high. Can anyone tell me the lowest temperature they can tolerate. I have an unheated greenhouse.
                    Quite low but it'll slow their growth dramatically. Mine have been in my PT since march and it's been as low as -2 overnight. They go under multiple layers of fleece if it's gonna be cold. They perk up in the morning and are doing fine. I don't want 2ft plants atm so I'm happy with their stocky stature. They get too big indoors and I've no space for 30+ big tomato plants so I've had to risk it. They'll likely go a bit purple under the leaves on cold nights but it quick disappears when they warm up.
                    Last edited by SimpleSimon; 13-04-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I will risk it too. Dining room is starting to look like a “grow” what with the grow lights. :>)

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post

I grew up next to the village of Blaby, I wonder if that variety is connected to the place, not one I have come across before.
                        Burnie, yes, I do believe that's where the seeds are from.
                        A member who used one on here sent them to me. Piglet Willie if my memory serves me correctly.
                        If you want I can save some seeds for you if you're interested in giving them a try,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Good morning all, Bright and sunny here so I'm off to the park.
                          We may go out in the afternoon as there is another garden store within our 20 km radius.
                          Nicos, I hope you're feeling better today.
                          Have a good day and catch you all later.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Daze View Post
                            I put a few plants in my unheated greenhouse a few days ago as a test and the frost got them.
                            The rest are staying indoors for another couple of weeks. I am not that far away from your location.
                            Last edited by Plot70; 13-04-2021, 09:47 AM.
                            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

My toms are still at the seed leaf stage. Tiny, but better late than never.
                              Tomandine (new to me, supposedly an improved Marmande)
                              Rose of Berne (new to me)
                              Big Daddy
                              Sungold
                              Gardener's Delight (no show so far and seed packed in year end 2017, so maybe no longer viable)
                              San Marzano
                              Montserrat (new to me, for stuffing)

Toms I'm not growing but wish I were: Pantano Romanesco, a Marmande-type, more productive and grows taller, but forgot to buy seeds pre-Brexit and can't find them anywhere except Premier Seeds Direct; and Cuor di Bue.

Plug plants to buy: Rosado de Barbastro (probably my favouritest tomato, plug plants are cheaper than seeds, which are outrageously expensive even here) and maybe a couple of plants for hanging toms for use over winter.

Comment

I had a mixed experience with my plants which have been out in the polytunnel for 3 weeks or so. In the 2 hard frosts we had on consecutive nights last week 3 of the 15 were killed, one lost its top, and the others are OK and just coming in to flower.

Playing Russian roulette with the weather is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X