Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much today only weeded my parsnip bed.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Cut the grass before it rained......did I tell you I have new mower........lol
      Tied up some rather weather beaten Broad Beans that just flowering, only one snappd off, so hopefully I will get some to have with Rice and Bacon, an odd concoction but I like it.

Comment

• I didn't know you had a new mower.
        Between the cold wind and showers managed to get pond plants in.
        Planted up 1 hanging basket.
        Removed some violas still in full bloom from pots to beds.
        Repotted 2 azaleas into bigger pots (removing bulbs from 1 first).
        Got more canes and sweet peas in.
        Collected nettles, got loads this yr. Put into water to make plant feed.
        Last edited by Containergardener; 22-05-2021, 06:29 PM.
        Northern England.

Comment

• Turned out the three squash plants which were barely growing in order to check on their roots. Two of them had had almost all of their roots eaten by fungus gnat larvae, and the third had lost at least half of them. No wonder they weren't growing.
          The stems where still unharmed, though, and they all still had at least a couple roots left, so I repotted in fresh compost, covered them with plastic bags (both to retain humidity and to keep the gnats out), and put them in my heated propagator. Hopefully they should reroot. I hope they do, as I have no more seeds of this variety, and can't get hold of any more, either.

Also managed to scavenge a free wheelbarrow at the allotment. The top needs bolting back into the base, but otherwise it's in decent condition.
          Last edited by ameno; 22-05-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Lots of weeding, and getting the courgette/squash bed ready.

Comment

• Planted the sedum cuttings I've been growing into two big clay bowls and put them on the patio. Potted up various types of basil. Pricked out some flower and herb seedlings into bigger pots. Repotted four differently scented pelargoniums.

Comment

• Turned the compost, put two lots of bean poles up and weeded the whole plot (less than half a yoghurt pot but best to get them small..).
                Also dug out a few volunteer potatoes and raspberry runners from pathways.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Removed some violas again and planted into beds.
                  Messed about with pond plants, removed a little debris.
                  Potted up salads.
                  Planted up 2 baskets.
                  Found some vine weevil grubs in old compost so fed to birds.
                  Put some slate down around a flagged area.
                  Tied in clematis

Northern England.

Comment

• In-between shower we erected my brassica cage then planted out Sunflowers and gutter sown spring onions.

Comment

• Sort of turned the cold compost heap which I hope to use this winter.
                      Mulched the japanese wineberries and babington leeks.
                      Endless weeding but concentrated around the 2ish wk old alpine strawberries beneath the blackberries.
                      Deslugged (at least 400g of slugs removed from various crevices).
                      Finally decided which bed to plant the new strawberries in, and popped those that didn't fit in a big container with refreshed compost.

Comment

• It's been too windy today to sow any small seeds outside so I couldn't do what I'd planned. Instead, I spent some time weeding another bed to get it ready and then sowed some runner beans (Hestia) and French beans (Tendergreen and Purple Teepee) into pots indoors. It's still between 8C and 10C at the moment so still too cold to sow them outside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Right Shed Fred View Post
                          Mulched the japanese wineberries and babington leeks.
                          Just out of interest Fred, I bought Babington leeks some years ago but now grow elephant garlic to use in the same way. EG stems are thicker and possibly grow back quicker after cutting.

Already been out there this morning and started a bucket of liquid seaweed feed using dried bladderwrack I picked up last October.

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Planted out Kales, Chard and Perpetual spinach. then gutter sown radishes.

Comment

• Got home from a long weekend away to find a tiny aubergine that wasn't there Thursday.
                              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Mulched the soft fruit with grass clippings, and the strawberries with chopped miscanthus straw.
                                Redug the veg patch at home, and removed a lot of raspberry roots and shoots which had somehow snuck into the bed since March, along with a lot of herb bennet. Then I planted the remainder of my leek plants.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X