Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More weeding and then seed sowing. after that stacking wood.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Third deep bed - of four planned - finally completed about an hour ago. It's the one nearest the camera - note the piled-up nettle and couch-grass roots alongside! In order from the back towards the camera, they are for spuds and toms; legumes; brassicas; and everything else (mainly onions and chard this year) in the as-yet-undug fourth bed, nearest the camera. In future years, they will rotate away from the camera. I have put horse manure on the spud and tom bed, and compost on the legume bed, both big bags bought. I may buy some more - you can't have too much. Fortunately, the consensus amongst the experts seems to be that you don't have to dig every deep bed every year, so I will probably dig the spud and tom bed each year.

https://flic.kr/p/2kMCjce
      Last edited by StephenH; 20-03-2021, 04:38 PM.
      Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

• Planted two rows of peas, 5 rows of parsnip and 4 rows of carrots

Comment

• Put my first 3 spuds Arran Pilot in a bag container. On a bed of manure and then compost. Had a couple of modules of spinach where 2 seeds had germinated so potted 2 seedlings into small pots. Need to sieve the compost in a green bag which has had spuds and then carrots in it, of which I have just eaten the last one. . Plan to use for dahlias.

Comment

• Planted two blackberries (Waldo and Merton Thornless), two blackcurrants (Kopania and Ben Hope) and another tayberry. I put the stems trimmed from the blackcurrants into pots in the hope that one or two might take root. Also transferred a blueberry into a larger pot of ericaceous compost.

Comment

• Busy few days. Hoed/ forked and weeded front garden and back border. Sowed more adelaman peas and some basil. Pruned dogwood and lemon verbena. Potted some gardener delight and Ed cherry tomatoes into individual pots. Took dahlia out of its winter storage and planted into a pot. Planted out sweet peas and a grass I bought for 89p and saved from the dead. Lifted the cold frame, cleared underneath it and put weed control fabric under it. Oh and I moved a shasta daisy plant from the front to the back border.

Comment

• Went and collected a load of manure, then did a bit more digging and weeding of the old goji bed. Nearly done now.

Comment

• Reseeded some bald patches on my allotment paths with a hard wearing grass mix.
                  More digging and weeding. Only a tiny bit left now; should finish tomorrow.

Comment

• Make lots of newspaper pots, potted up lettuce, in a day or two I'll be using the rest of the pots i made for basil..

Comment

• Repaired my brassica netting and then sat and ate a few spears of PSB, so delicious raw straight from the plant.
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• The soil has dried out a bit so I removed some more of the turf from the front garden. I'm hoping to have it all done in a week or so so that I can seed the whole area with a wildflower mix.
                        Last edited by Purple Primrose; 22-03-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Finished digging the bed where the goji berry used to be. The last bit was riddle with couch grass and tayberry roots.
                          Also raked in some poultry manure and some powdered gypsum.

Comment

• Soaked my peas then put them in the sprouter to chit once I can see roots they'll be sown guttering. De stoned what will be the parsnip bed.

Comment

• Yesterday I moved some daffodils that were in the way of the camellia & put them in a pot in the back garden to flower. Camellia looks tidier,gave it some seaweed fertiliser after,it’s about to open its first flower

Comment

• Hammered in some steel poles for my new grape vines I plan to plant.
                                Went around and cut all the long grass along the edges of the allotment paths. Ended up with three buckets full of grass. Between that and all of the weed grass I pulled out of the raspberry bed the other week, my compost bin is mostly grass at this point.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X