X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burnie
    replied
    I have been potting on chillies and peppers in the greenhouse, they are still in the blowaways at night though and the tommies are covered with fleece at night too. Just planted out a tray of peas as the roots are climbing out of the cells, if they do ok, then I'll plant another tray out later in the week.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Got some of toms into final pots , however too cold in gh so they're inside on a windowledge .
    Split and repotted a supermarket basil
    Split 2 other plants
    Potted up few other things
    Moved majority of seedlings that were bigger to greenhouse under protection
    Sowed some more seeds

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rand
    replied
    Planted out the tomatoes in the greenhouse beds. Temperature is still getting too low in the night, but the sacrificial plant I had in there all week seems to have survived well and I'll use the old paraffin heater until spring finally arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Potted on courgettes and carried plants around.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Take a sample of the soil and put it in a jam jar with about twice as much water. Put the lid on and then shake it up well. Let it settle until most of the crud has fallen to the bottom. Now use the meter to measure the pH of the liquid. That's far more accurate.
    If your tap water is anything other than very soft it is important to use distilled water, though. Tap water with any hardness at all will skew results towards alkaline, and rain water will skew results towards acid.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rand
    replied
    Take a sample of the soil and put it in a jam jar with about twice as much water. Put the lid on and then shake it up well. Let it settle until most of the crud has fallen to the bottom. Now use the meter to measure the pH of the liquid. That's far more accurate.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by StephenH View Post
    Bought a moisture and pH meter from Wilko today. Stuck it in the legume bed (currently unoccupied, waiting for the runners which are currently in fibre pots) which I limed a few weeks ago, and it told me that the pH was about 5, ie very acid! I have a fairly heavy clay soil, but that seems unlikely. Do these things actually work?
    Most of them don't work very well, no. And they don't work at all if the soil is not damp enough.
    Your best bet is just to buy some cheap universal indicator paper online somewhere, then in a small container mix a little soil with some distilled water (which you can buy fairly cheaply, or else you can use condensed water from something like a dehumidifier) and then test the resulting solution.

Leave a comment:

• StephenH
    replied

Bought a moisture and pH meter from Wilko today. Stuck it in the legume bed (currently unoccupied, waiting for the runners which are currently in fibre pots) which I limed a few weeks ago, and it told me that the pH was about 5, ie very acid! I have a fairly heavy clay soil, but that seems unlikely. Do these things actually work?
    In other news - sowed courgettes and squashes in fibre pots to replace my onions, which died. No sign of my cabbages or kale yet. My apple trees are smothered with blossom, promising a heavy crop, and lots of cider.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    Dahlia blue boy, Nerine bowdenii Alba, Liatris spicata and Caladium Candidum. First three for the full sun front garden, the caladium is for the shady back border.
    Oh bet they'll look lovely. Each Yr I say I will do summer bulbs then we get to summer and I've forgotten again.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Potted up one more rooted sweet potato cutting. That's 10 now, plus I have one more rooting in water, and several more growing from the tuber I set to sprout.

Then at the allotment I raked poultry manure into the big bed and set up a frame for my beans, then did a little hoeing.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Dahlia blue boy, Nerine bowdenii Alba, Liatris spicata and Caladium Candidum. First three for the full sun front garden, the caladium is for the shady back border.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Oh nice Annie what bulbs have you got?

Shuffled windowledges
    Pricked out more rudbeckia
    Sowed cosmos seeds

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    More potting on of tomatoes -green grapes this time, plus a red onion squash. My new summer bulb purchases arrived today so did a bit of planning about where I’m going to put them.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    ^^ Nice one QW, you're streets ahead of us, our cukes are still in the seed packet

Turned the comp today, further mounded up the spuds with compost, took netting off the red kale as it's about finished and netted the parsnip seeds to stop blackbirds turfing them out..

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Tied up cucumber Baby F1 because we now have fruit setting

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210429_084956.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	851.9 KB
ID:	2523885

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse