This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sweet savory View Post
    Have had ordinary Kuri squash chitting for 10 days and they are only now looking like they might actually do something.
    Do they usually take that long? Been on a sunny windowsill but kept damp.
    Not if they are kept above 20c. Above 25 they should sprout within 1-3 days, and even above 20 they should sprout in less than a week.
    It's worth noting that some squash varieties have a very thick, tough seed coat, and it can be difficult for water to penetrate it. I'm not sure if blue kuri is one of those, but it might be. If it is, the seeds with be noticeably thicker than other squash seeds, and the seed coat is also usually slightly orange in colour (compared to the beige of normal squash seeds). If it is ones of these, they will germinate much better if you peel them slightly. At the pointed end of the seed, very carefully insert a finger nail and peel off a small section of the seed coat from both sides of the seed, in order to expose the seed germ. This is usually plenty enough to encourage them to germinated.
    At 10 days now, it may also be worth "testing" them to make sure the seeds are still sound. Give each seeds a moderate squeeze between two fingers (not too hard, but not too gentle). If the seeds have already rotted then a white paste will be squeezed out of the end of the seed.

Comment

• Thanks Ameno . Seeds duly squeezed but seem ok so I have done the fingernail thing and hoping that will spur them into action.

Comment

• Today sowed two sunburst patty pan squash,three soleil courgette,three parador courgette & five honey bear squash.

Comment

• Sowed a module tray of black cumin.

Comment

• I’ve sown spring onions and some radishes into guttering they can stay in there until I see which bed they’ll fit in.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Sown Scarlet Emperor and Blauhilde beans into loo rolls. both were saved seeds.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Bean sowing day today - Borlotti (self-saved), French climbing Blue Lake (self-saved), DFB Sprite and DFB Aquilon.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Sowed all my beans, peas and squashes today. Chitted sweetcorn.
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Sowed some Eskimo carrots as my first sowings of Chantenay are now showing, also sowed some Beetroot and covered the bed with new chicken wire.

Comment

• Sowed 12 modules of dfb Mistik.
                      Put another blue kuri to chit. The first one is now showing green in its pot. Didn’t mean to do 2 of these but I am coming to the conclusion that I maybe have a duff packet of uchiki kuri as none so far show the slightest interest in germinating in spite of all my efforts to encourage them. Will keep trying as plenty of time yet.

Comment

• Today sowed emir melons,Inca gold squashes & diva cucumbers

Comment

• Kale (Red Russian and Cavolo Nero), rainbow chard, red cabbage and burpless cukes
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Another pot of little gem as the one sown 10d ago got completely slugged.
                            Row of carrots Marian, first row sown last week showing already. Another chitted parsnip.

Comment

• Sowed more mixed salad leaves and more radishes.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Sowed some Black Magic kale seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse