This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
    My first bulb fennel and raspberries eaten off the vine.
    I have fennel envy
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Toms, celeriac, black kale, bay leaves, rasps and sage.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Apples, raspberries, blackberries, mixed lettuce, toms and radishes,
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Runner beans and raspberries eaten strait away.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Few rasps. Never make it to the house.

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

I have fennel envy
              It was one of four that survived an extreme slug attack. I had to re sew with slug pellets laid.
              I am hoping the later ones will be a reasonable size before the frost.

Comment

• Blauhilde beans, black cherry toms, mixed lettuce, parsley, chives, raspberries and blackberries.

Comment

• Beef and cherry toms, Palermo peppers, lettuce, rasps, beetroot and two figs.
                  Last edited by Mr Bones; 17-09-2021, 06:46 PM. Reason: Forgot the Palermo's
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Tomatoes, raspberries, French beans, ripe peppers, two pears.
                    A bucket filled right up with dry beans, ready for shelling.
                    Brought back one of my squashes. Weighs 5kg.

Very sad to say I missed my akebia fruits... They had only a single bunch of five fruits this year, and it seems they ripened sooner than I was expecting (I was expecting October). I noticed today that they were purple and split open (they split when ripe), but they had sadly already started to go mouldy...
                    I'll have to be more vigilant next year. And hope for more than a single bunch.
                    Last edited by ameno; 17-09-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• A large bowl of raspberries.

I had to google akebia fruit ameno ….interesting!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        I had to google akebia fruit ameno ….interesting!
                        I had some in Japan a few years ago (they're native there). I saw them in a greengrocer and didn't know what they were (they were very expensive, though), so I looked them up when I got back to my accommodation.
                        A few days later, I was on a walk in the hills and saw some growing wild, so I knocked them down with a stick (the vine was up in a tree) and tried them. I really liked them, so decided to try growing them myself.
                        In some ways they're a bit of a pain, as they are self-sterile so you need two plants of different varieties for fruit, and they flower rather early, so are prone to late frosts. They're vigorous growers, though, and the plants themselves are perfectly hardy.
                        For some reason, I didn't actually get many female flowers this year. Lots of males, but only a few female, and only one flower pollinated and survived the frosts in the end (each flower has 2-6 stigmas, and each stigma develops into a separate fruit, hence that one flower made a bunch of five fruit in the end).
                        Hopefully that was just because the plants are still quite young, and hopefully next year they'll have more flowers, and thus more fruit.

Comment

• Harvested the Borlottis yesterday - almost three litres of shelled dried beans from 25 plants. Also picked DFB's, cukes, carrots, toms, rasps, spring onions and peppers.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Rasberries, blackberries, peppers, and another bucket stuffed full of dry beans.

Comment

• A handful of raspberries that never made it home.
                              Two queen sized marrows and one communist dictator sized marrow.

Comment

• Yesterday

Runner beans, toms, oregano, mixed lettuce and chives

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X