This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday jobs
    Clear water from melted snow and overnight rain off the paths before it turns to a sheet of ice - done as much as possible
    Harvest lettuce, carrots - done lettuce

Also put away some of the water trays

Monday jobs (weather permitting)
    Continue clearing up in garage
    Check allotment
    Harvest carrots
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Would you say now is a good time to make no dig beds? I have a 1/3 plot, and enough cardboard to make them, I'm worried it might be too cold and difficult to make the beds in these lower temperatures.

I 'm ordering 1-2 bulk bags of compost to make them and I'm following lord Dowdings methods...

Any advice welcome! I have two spare days (thurs/fri) to do it, and I'm excited to get on with it!

Comment

• Monday jobs (weather permitting)
        Continue clearing up in garage - done some
        Check allotment - done
        Harvest carrots - done, plus a leek

Tuesday jobs
        Scoop up copious water from garage path*, as the weather is of course "dry"... - done (4 times and still a big puddle)
        Measure carrot cage and think about how to replace it - done

*There is a soakaway drain, but as the water table is level with the top of it, it is pretty useless. Not helped by the fact that it keeps on raining.

Wednesday jobs (weather permitting)
        Continue trying to remove water from path
        Check allotment
        Last edited by Penellype; 05-01-2021, 05:58 PM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Originally posted by .commander View Post
          Would you say now is a good time to make no dig beds? I have a 1/3 plot, and enough cardboard to make them, I'm worried it might be too cold and difficult to make the beds in these lower temperatures.

I 'm ordering 1-2 bulk bags of compost to make them and I'm following lord Dowdings methods...

Any advice welcome! I have two spare days (thurs/fri) to do it, and I'm excited to get on with it!

i would go for it! I don’t see any reason you cannot lay down cardboard and compost when the ground is frozen - and it’ll all be in the right place as the ground thaws.
          only thing I wouldn’t do is try to dig or shovel anything that is frozen solid. My right shoulder took a couple of weeks to forgive me after I enthusiastically tried to thrust a shovel into a pile of gravel when it was frozen solid last winter!

Comment

• I've got my diary written with seed sow dates of everything I'm planning.

Today I'm gonna cover the paths with card.

Tomorrow I'm getting woodchip for a charitable donation. Hopefully paths will be done for 2021.

I've done more work this year than I normally do with regards to planning and infrastructure. Usually I just chuck it in any old how.

I'm also planning my beds. I'm going to get compost in Early March and do no dig because I love Charles Dowding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chestnut View Post

i would go for it! I don’t see any reason you cannot lay down cardboard and compost when the ground is frozen - and it’ll all be in the right place as the ground thaws.
              only thing I wouldn’t do is try to dig or shovel anything that is frozen solid. My right shoulder took a couple of weeks to forgive me after I enthusiastically tried to thrust a shovel into a pile of gravel when it was frozen solid last winter!
              Thanks for this reply.

I'm 100% going to have an amazing year on the allotment, even if the rest of the world continues to fall to bits!

Comment

• Wednesday jobs
                Continue trying to remove water from path - no, frozen
                Check allotment - done

No gardening today partly because I don't have time and partly because its forecast to be at or below freezing all day.

Comment

• I'm off to get some woodchip today.

Bloody hell it is cold today.

I've got 2 days off til I start my new job so I'm trying to make the most of it! Getting my paths laid as best I can in the weather haha

Comment

• Snowing today so no gardening for me.

Comment

• Weekend jobs (weather permitting)
                      Check allotment
                      Harvest carrots, kale

Comment

• Weekend jobs
                        Check allotment - done (frozen)
                        Harvest carrots, kale - done carrots, also lettuce and peppers from indoors

Monday jobs
                        Check allotment
                        Remove dead geraniums from fence
                        Harvest carrots, leek if possible

Comment

• Monday jobs
                          Check allotment - done
                          Remove dead geraniums from fence - done
                          Harvest carrots, leek if possible - done

Yesterday I put the sheep's fleece my sister gave me in the bottom of the bed I am going to make a hotbed out of and harvested carrots and kale.

Too cold and wet for gardening today and no time tomorrow.

Comment

• Friday jobs
                            Check allotment
                            Harvest carrots

Comment

• Jobs for the weekend

Clear behind the shed ready for the waterbutts,
                              Clear in front of the shed for the new compost bins,
                              Buy the compost bins
                              Cut the grass (if its not too wet)

Hopefully i can achieve some of that at least!
                              "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                              - Henry Beard

Comment

• Need it to stop snowing every weekend so I can crack on!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X