This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
    So my plan this year was to buy plug plants rather then growing from seed as I’m expecting our first child to arrive around 11th April. However my propagator is now on and warming my soil for sowing complete with thirty cells.
    (I haven’t yet decided what I’m sowing)
    My reasoning for this is that if I buy plugs they are a) more expensive and b) will come in jiffy sized root balls and will need potting on just as baby’s about to put in an appearance. So my plan is to sow into large cells so to stop the need for repotting so soon and if they aren’t successful or they get abandoned at least I’ve not wasted money buying them yes I realise I’ll be paying for electric but some how that doesn’t count as it’s just a general bill
    Am I crackers for trying?
    Congratulations that’s lovely news & the weather will be warming up to spend some time in the garden with baby,sowing seeds is nice & it’s worth a try,enjoy it

Comment

Congratulations Chrissy!! You will have plenty of time for your seedlings!! Babies sleep all the time Can I guess?? Baby boy April 12th!!

Comment

Chrissy you could put your chillies in to bigger pots as soon as they germinate. Than you won’t have to do worry about them for a while. As you’ll be busy getting used to never sleeping again

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Yes!! It's fab for chillies
          Mine was great for drying them, it's gone now replaced with a stove that has no oven

Comment

Originally posted by stigs View Post
            Mine was great for drying them, it's gone now replaced with a stove that has no oven
            I have been toying with getting rid of it but thr thought of losing it is upsetting!! They bake good cakes too.

Did you miss it? I love coming down in the morning to a hot kitchen.

Comment

Thanks! All predictions welcome so of course you can guess!!
              I’m glad your not all poo pooing me I prob will buy some plugs but just not chillies! Unless they get neglected as I get more tired!!

Comment

Hi guys. Haven’t been on much this year but got loads of seed catalogues through the post and Santa brought me a propagator so starting to plan for the year. Always enjoy that bit. Really liked the mystery chilli growing last year but this year am going to pick a few types. I’m more interested in the growing than the eating of the chillis, my husband is the one that really likes the heat. So he would like a habanero type, a scotch bonnet one and maybe something more medium heat that is productive
                Any suggestions. Was looking at chocolate habanero which looked interesting.

Comment

Hi annie8
                  Chocolate habanero are lovely. I really like them. One of the other half’s favourites.
                  I’d go for a good old cayenne for a productive with less heat then your habs & scotch bonnet. To be honest I’ve always had good production from habs & bonnets

Comment

Great. Have just ordered some chocolate habaneros, yellow scotch bonnet and red cayennes.

Comment

After hours of deliberation and whittling down to just 8, my kit list for 2020 is as below

2x Lemon drop
                      1x Fatalii
                      2x Sugar rush peach
                      1x Orange habanero
                      1x Thai dragon
                      1x CGN 21500 x 7 Pot Barrackpore

I plan to start on Feb 1, that is 19 days earlier than last year.

I also set a few going on Christmas eve, just as an early experimental batch. I'm interested to see if I can get them to develop really early and get a massive headstart, with a view to pruning them early to make them really stock and bushy, as detailed in this video

It will be interesitng to see how they get on without grow lights so early on in the year. If they just get too leggy then I'll scrap them and go with the Feb batch.

Here they are so far:

https://pasteboard.co/IQKabWQ.jpg
                      Last edited by dave_100; 19-01-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_100 View Post
                        After hours of deliberation and whittling down to just 8, my kit list for 2020 is as below

2x Lemon drop
                        1x Fatalii
                        2x Sugar rush peach
                        1x Orange habanero
                        1x Thai dragon
                        1x CGN 21500 x 7 Pot Barrackpore

I plan to start on Feb 1, that is 19 days earlier than last year.

I also set a few going on Christmas eve, just as an early experimental batch. I'm interested to see if I can get them to develop really early and get a massive headstart, with a view to pruning them early to make them really stock and bushy, as detailed in this video

It will be interesitng to see how they get on without grow lights so early on in the year. If they just get too leggy then I'll scrap them and go with the Feb batch.

Here they are so far:

https://pasteboard.co/IQKabWQ.jpg

Have you had a noticeable difference through pruning? I didn't do this last year and I see a lot of places saying to do it, others saying not. I may cut back half and leave half and see if there is much of a difference.
                        Last edited by benb89; 20-01-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by benb89 View Post
                          Have you had a noticeable difference through pruning? I didn't do this last year and I see a lot of places saying to do it, others saying not. I may cut back half and leave half and see if there is much of a difference.
                          It depends what you want from yours plant. Yes you can prune, yes it will make it bushier. But What is the point cutting bits off it for it to grow again in another spot. All it does ( in my experience) is Take longer for pods to ripen. I’ve not noticed any increase yield from a pruned plant either. So I don’t both. I let the plant do what it wants. It’s all just personal preference.

Comment

Congrats Chrissy I just had my first born in early Dec. The sleeplessness is tough but totally worth it!!

It hasn’t stopped me getting my chillis going though, you can’t cop out with that one!

Just repotted my first seedlings this weekend into individual modules and have the grow lights in full flow.

I’ve put some red Habs and jalapeño into the terminator to get started!

Comment

My experience was the same as SP - I did put photos up one year of side by side plants, several pruned and others left. Yes the pruned ones were a lovely shape but they cropped much later in the season, less of a harvest, so unless you have the room to grow on the following year it may not be any benefit.

Comment

Last year I topped around May time, and it did delay things like the others have said- I wouldn't do it that late again.

This year I've started 2 months earlier and plan to prune when they are still small seedlings (as in video) so will be interesting. If it does set them back I doubt it will be by 8 weeks worth, and they should be stockier/sturdier/bushier/nicer shape etc. But yeah it is an experiment for sure!
                                Last edited by dave_100; 20-01-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X