No announcement yet.

Growing some early tomatoes 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ same as me! Just a couple now, enough to keep me happy and also ensure I have an earlier crop then my main sowing will carry me through.

Comment

Sowed a few.
      Micro
      House dwarf cherry
      Mini bel.

Comment

Had a shuffle around on the propagator as my chilis are all up
        So lo and behold... space

Now taken up by Red Robin, the other toms will have to wait. (hoping for 2 plants, 1 for me and 1 to give away, if all 4 seeds come up... I make more friends )
        V.P.
        The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Will get some on the go tomorrow, have about 10 varieties to sow

Comment

Originally posted by Plot12c View Post
            Will get some on the go tomorrow, have about 10 varieties to sow
            What varieties are you starting with?

Comment

Gardeners' delight and Mandarin (at front) in greenhouse propagator. They now have their first true leaves just developing, about 28 days after sowing.

Gardeners' delight and Mandarin. Image is a link to full resolution picture
              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
              ∃

Comment

Tiny Tim up and under the grow light, so sowed some Windowbox Red. Then I will STOP till March when I will sow my cordons.

Last year I put my micro toms out in the greenhouse at the beginning of May, but it was a very cold spring and they sat and did nothing. No point sowing early toms if you don't get an early crop, so this year the numbers are down so they can all stay indoors on the windowsill. Fingers crossed for some toms in June!
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Well here's my Latah, sown just under 3 weeks ago. Potted up - I've kept 5
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	B3C95F0C-6D4C-467A-9280-CA99277C7BB2.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	976.5 KB
ID:	2386313
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                    Last year I put my micro toms out in the greenhouse at the beginning of May!
                    Yes, it's pointless if you can't put them anywhere. I generally try to grow about 3 early plants. I find that early sown plants that get leggy it get cold never catch up so it's pointless if you can't keep them warm at night or give them enough light.
                    I put them out in the greenhouse during the day and bring them back at night. My later toms get the same treatment I have them on a large grow tray and make someone help me
                    I'm further south than you but mine don't go out overnight fulltime until mid May. I check the temp every night. If it's in double figure they stay out.
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 10-02-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

My solitary Red Alert coming along Ok, started to chit 3rd Jan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	red aler4t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2386320

Comment

Just bought myself a long windowsill module propagator from B&M yesterday so I can pot on my Ailsa Craig toms from my own seed. Chilli peppers will be in there as well.
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Once they get their true leaves they really start to go.
                          My Gardeners' Delight (agonized over placement of apostrophe - is is the delight of one gardener, or many?) are growing fast now. About 35ish days after sowing.

Gardeners' Delight about 35ish days after sowing.

Managed to keep the compost temperature above 8°C although air drops to about 5°C inside the fleece "tent" I cover them with at night. Light is neutral white 15W and comes on 13 hours before sunset.

General view of heated sand propagator

Temperature over last week. Blue is air, green is one of the pots
                          Gap is a technical issue, not zero degres!
                          Last edited by quanglewangle; 12-02-2020, 11:57 AM. Reason: Added temp graph
                          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                          ∃

Comment

I wish I'd stuck some gardeners delight in to compare....
                            Obviously our indoor seedlings will do better in the early days as they are kept a little warmer. Will be interesting if they crop any earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              What varieties are you starting with?
                              Yellow pear, sweet millions, black opal, tigerella have been sown

Comment

Originally posted by Plot12c View Post
                                Yellow pear, sweet millions, black opal, tigerella have been sown
                                Yellow pear are popping their heads through, I only sowed them 7 days ago, have them in a heated propagator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X