No announcement yet.

Growing some early tomatoes 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quanglewangle how small are the sideshoots I can’t really see anything to worry about. Is it a bush tomato variety,if it is leave them on,if not you can remove the sideshoots when you can easily get to them without touching the rest of the plant,you don’t want to damage the tiny hairs. I had some tiny snippers once that would’ve been handy or small sterile scissors might help when they’re slightly bigger. Unless that variety’s a bush type,bush tomatoes throw out side shoots quite early,if unsure I treat as a bush variety & let it do what it wants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      Quanglewangle how small are the sideshoots I can’t really see anything to worry about. Is it a bush tomato variety,if it is leave them on,if not you can remove the sideshoots when you can easily get to them without touching the rest of the plant,you don’t want to damage the tiny hairs. I had some tiny snippers once that would’ve been handy or small sterile scissors might help when they’re slightly bigger. Unless that variety’s a bush type,bush tomatoes throw out side shoots quite early,if unsure I treat as a bush variety & let it do what it wants.
      Thanks for helpful advice. It's an indeterminate (cordon) variety. I can wield a pair of surgical scissors so I will take them off while small.
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
      ∃

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
        Micro tomato sowed on 29/1/ 29

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90464[/ATTACH]
        Nice going. The variety is called micro tomato Yeh? I'll try those next year

Comment

• So far all seem to be going ok, but I have 2 plants with something on the leaves - not sure if it's due to my watering or something more serious - they've both been under growlights, with periodic times on the windowsill not under a light. Should I be concerned?

[IMG]20200319_094551 by alligator1975, on Flickr[/IMG]

Whole plant:

[IMG]20200319_095302 by alligator1975, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• Maybe a bit of leaf scorch, owing to water and sunlight? Doesn't look owt to worry about anyway the plant looks healthy enough.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              Maybe a bit of leaf scorch, owing to water and sunlight? Doesn't look owt to worry about anyway the plant looks healthy enough.
              Thanks - will leave it be and see how it gets on.

Comment

• Originally posted by OakR View Post
                So far all seem to be going ok, but I have 2 plants with something on the leaves - not sure if it's due to my watering or something more serious - they've both been under growlights, with periodic times on the windowsill not under a light. Should I be concerned?

[IMG]20200319_094551 by alligator1975, on Flickr[/IMG]

Whole plant:

[IMG]20200319_095302 by alligator1975, on Flickr[/IMG]
                Don't think you have got anything to worry about, those plants look great , especially for this time of the year

Comment

• Pretty much maximim sunshine but still only half what tomatoes need...

Today was cloudless from sunrise to sunset and my greenhouse is unobscured now the sun is over the hedge. Commercial growers seem to use light intensity of 20 mol photon day -1. Even with this sunshine I only managed 10.2 mol photon day -1 - half what they aim for. I suppose this will go up as the days lengthen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	light.temp-day.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	2386699

In the graph the notches are when the sun is shaded by parts of the greenhouse frame. The sensor is a leaf level.

The plants themselves are doing fine. The Gardener's Delight are just forming flower buds.
                  I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                  ∃

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                    Today was cloudless from sunrise to sunset and my greenhouse is unobscured now the sun is over the hedge. Commercial growers seem to use light intensity of 20 mol photon day -1. Even with this sunshine I only managed 10.2 mol photon day -1 - half what they aim for. I suppose this will go up as the days lengthen.

In the graph the notches are when the sun is shaded by parts of the greenhouse frame. The sensor is a leaf level.

The plants themselves are doing fine. The Gardener's Delight are just forming flower buds.

You gonna eat them mate, or do scientific experiments on them?! Fascinating mind. But are you using some as a base, you know just plant them and let them get on with it? Gardeners Delight are pretty good, standard 'do-ers'
                    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-03-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

You gonna eat them mate, or do scientific experiments on them?!'
                      Not really an experiment: just trying to minimise chances of failure.
                      ∃

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                        Not really an experiment: just trying to minimise chances of failure.
                        Fair does. Toms are pretty hardy plants all told. How many are you growing, indoors or out?

Comment

• There are buds on my Father Frost and Maskotka tomato plants.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Fair does. Toms are pretty hardy plants all told. How many are you growing, indoors or out?
                            Only got room for three Gardener's Delight and three Mandarin, but also have cucumber, melon, and aubergine in same greenhouse.
                            ∃

Comment

• Look what i found today
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000759 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	2386709

Comment

• Woo hoo!!! Lucky girl!

Comment

Latest Topics