Growing some early tomatoes 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
    Greenhouse is all clean and fumigated; propagator has fresh sand; and the tomatoes are started. Mandarin and Gardener's Delight

Tomatoes and aubergines on propagator

The thin wires are the temperature probes. The pot compost only about 12 °C now but will come up (only just in and used cold water). The sand runs about 20 °C
    How much does that cost you to run??

You could get toms by the beginning of July from a March sowing especially if you pick some faster cropping varieties.

Comment

Lots of helpful detail in last two posts. H/T Scarlet and Monkeyboy
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
      ∃

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        How much does that cost you to run??
        'Tis all controlled automagicly by a pooter, which records when it turns on and off. I then have a file to pass into a spreadsheet that knows our day and night rates. I have last years figures somewhere but am just off for my post-lunch nap. Figures later.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
        ∃

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
          'Tis all controlled automagicly by a pooter, which records when it turns on and off. I then have a file to pass into a spreadsheet that knows our day and night rates. I have last years figures somewhere but am just off for my post-lunch nap. Figures later.
          I'm very interested! Would love some kind of grow tent in my greenhouse for taking early dahlia cuttings
          Last edited by Scarlet; 09-01-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I'm very interested! Would love some kind of grow tent in my greenhouse for taking early dahlia cuttings
            Warning - we are in a very mild part of the country - while air frosts are not unknown we usually only get a couple of days below zero and some winters none at all. YMMV

Can't find last year's figures but quick calculation goes like this: propagator (60W) about 14p / day if on 24 h/day. In-ground heated bed (120W) about 28p day, again is on 24h/day. Based on economy 7 tariff.

Once we get to about March neither are on all day - the sun heats the ground quite quickly. The daily costs start to drop then to something nearer 7p and 14p. Remember our leccy is cheaper at night so the drop is more than you might expect once the days warm up.

There is no space heating in the greenhouse. I usually cover unused parts with insulation board and the propagator stands on a section of insulation board. When cold nights are forecast I drape fleece over everything.

Last year we had aubergines and tomatoes ready about 27 July, but sowed a few weeks later. Hoping for early July this year.
            ∃

Comment

First Post :-D

I grow tomatoes on an indoor windowsill every year, with some help from supplementary IKEA Vaxer lights. This year for the first time I am using a Geopod heated propagator with integrated lights.

This season I am growing four different small plants - Snow Fairy and 506 Bush Early aka Bushy 18" which I have grown before, and new to me varieties Bonté Tigret and Hahms Gelbe Topftomate.

Sowed them on four days ago and the first seedling popped up today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatgirl View Post
                Sowed them on four days ago and the first seedling popped up today.
                I have germination envy
                ∃

Comment

Early tomatoes sown - a day later than I said but I wanted to warm the compost up yesterday before sowing (that's my excuse ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200114_140730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	2386024

4 seeds of each one, 2 in each module, 12 varieties. Hoping for 1 of each to grow to maturity.

Bajaja
                  Gartenperle
                  Hahm Gelbe
                  Little Sun F1
                  Minibel
                  Red Robin
                  Rambling Red Stripe
                  Three Cheeses High
                  Tiny Tim
                  Totem F1
                  Vilma
                  Yellow Pygmy

Comment

I have 1 red alert seedling which is 1 more than I thought I'd have.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Today Mandarin and Gardener's Delight seedlings poked up their little heads. That's 9 days in the propagator with compost temperature running at about 15°C
                      ∃

Comment

Latah and VCs rambling red stripe from 2015 sown this morning.

Comment

I've moved mine out of the prop to the bedroom window sill today. Not all germinated but I'm still hopeful of the some more popping up.

Comment

I’ve got some SAN Mazarno I want to get growing. Would you say these are ok for a January grow or maybe a little later?

Comment

San Marzano is a cordon tomato - it grows tall. Where will you grow the plants. If its a heated GH maybe,

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                San Marzano is a cordon tomato - it grows tall. Where will you grow the plants. If its a heated GH maybe,
                                Hmmm...I've not read all of this thread. Are there varieties you really shouldn't be bothering with at this time of year?
                                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X