Living salad: seed sowing jig

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the living salad a growlight

Treated my much-mocked living salad to a £12 growlight from amazon. Runs on USB phone charger. It has a duration timer for 2h, 4h or 8h from time of power-up, then runs at that time each day, so I will need to get up a 04:30 (once!) to kick it off. Also need to find mrs quanglewangle another phone charger...

Sharp eyed readers will spot the re-purposed Ikea Grundtal kitchen rack
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
    ∃

Comment

You are mad! Mad on that wonderfully English eccentric way that only Englishmen can be. Mrs quanglewangle has my full sympathy. I have my own eccentric Mr greenishfing who can complicate the simplest job tenfold without trying but who also has the occasional stroke of genius!

Comment

You haven't told us how you sowed the seeds!!
        How about one of those plug adapters with a USB port? Then Mrs qw could have her phone charger back.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
          You are mad! Mad on that wonderfully English eccentric way that only Englishmen can be. Mrs quanglewangle has my full sympathy. I have my own eccentric Mr greenishfing who can complicate the simplest job tenfold without trying but who also has the occasional stroke of genius!
          Well, yes there was a bit of a sigh when the Amazon man called but it was cheap and the greenery does slightly soften the operating theater chic vibe of the kitchen decor.
          Last edited by quanglewangle; 23-09-2019, 06:21 PM. Reason: removed stuff that leaked in from clickboard
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
          ∃

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            You haven't told us how you sowed the seeds!!
            How about one of those plug adapters with a USB port? Then Mrs qw could have her phone charger back.
            By hand but agonizing over this

H/T veggiechicken. Will speak to our long-suffering electrician about getting one of the twin 13A wall sockets replaced with one with USB outlets.
            ∃

Comment

I use summat like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Throug...9260637&sr=8-7

Comment

Yuck! We are stongly adaptor-averse. Your suggestion smacks of a slippery slope that leads to 4-ways.
                ∃

Comment

What's a mobile phone charger if its not an adapter?

Comment

What's a mobile phone charger if its not an adapter?
                    OK. It's toast. Need another 13A wall socket with USB port by the bed then.
                    ∃

Comment

I have a Mr Fothergills microgreens tray which would be perfect for this. Google tells me that both the Mr Fothergills one and a Johnsons one are available on Amazon UK, although I'm sure you could find cheaper ones.

When you're growing hydroponically you put a single ply of tissue or toilet paper over the tray and then sprinkle the seeds, but you could use the seed tray part for spacing out your seeds if you wanted to plant them in soil or another medium.

The squares in the seed tray are 3mm square and from the middle of one square to the middle of the next is almost dead on 5mm. If you really only want one seed per hole, you could pick out any extras with tweezers instead of placing each seed individually.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X