No announcement yet.

Living salad: seed sowing jig

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a ‘comb’ with 1cm teeth and gaps just wide enough for seeds to get through (hopefully the width of a saw blade would work..) to deal with the side to side spacing, then manually do the row spacing using a steel ruler in front of the comb which you lift to let seeds throug wherever you want a row.

Alternatively, find out who makes the robot the supermarket suppliers use, and ask them to give you a price for making you a bespoke small-scale machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
      Alternatively, find out who makes the robot the supermarket suppliers use, and ask them to give you a price for making you a bespoke small-scale machine?
      I actually have, or at least had, the skills to program something like this

but its just shy of £200 and because it hasn't got sufficient reach it would also need a step driven conveyor to move the tray back and forth. Also, although this device could probably place seeds quite well it would need some work to ensure it picked up exactly one at a time, And on and on....
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
      ∃

Comment

Or you could use a damp matchstick end.

Comment

Slightly more serious suggestion...............

I have some plug plant trays like this

If you cut one to fit your compost filled salad tray and press it down into the compost you leave indentations in the compost. You can either drop a seed into each indent whilst the plug plant tray is in place (then remove it) or remove it first and sow into each indent.

Easy peasy!

Comment

I like that idea VC! That would make it so much easier to prick them out later on too, if that's what you want to do.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Like the idea of this fresh living lettuce stuff over the winter.
              Kitchen window- south facing, tick
              load of recycled veg trays, tick
              seeds, tick
              compost, tick
              seen someone suggest loo roll and flour paste to make seed tapes, tick
              Glasses to see the seeds... I know they are around here some where
              V.P.
              The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

I read it as liver salad initially
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
                  I read it as liver salad initially
                  ............and I thought a "jig" was a dance

Take your partners ....................

Comment

My apologies QW,, but I have to do it..............

You put your right hand in
                    Your right hand out
                    Pick up your seed packet
                    and shake it all about.

You do the hoe and pokey
                    and wait for the seeds to sprout

(All together now)

Do............the hoe and pokey
                    And wait for your seeds to sprout.

VC sits down exhausted.

Comment

You lot can mock me but remember i am married; have had three feral children; and lectured undergraduates, so i have been mocked by experts.
                      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                      ∃

Comment

Should we try harder On a serious note hope you find/make something that works for you. The small cell trays as VC suggested are very good but you have to keep on top of the watering - I used some this year for wildflower plugs and had to resow when the first lot got frazzled in the greenhouse.
                        Last edited by happyhumph; 08-09-2019, 11:25 PM.
                        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Mr Pots suggested something like a salt pot/shaker but with larger holes.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
                            Should we try harder On a serious note hope you find/make something that works for you. The small cell trays as VC suggested are very good but you have to keep on top of the watering - I used some this year for wildflower plugs and had to resow when the first lot got frazzled in the greenhouse.
                            VC's suggestion, which I may try, was actually to use the small cell trays as a jig: place the empty tray over the compost; drop a seed into each cell relying on the hole at the base to achieve placement; and remove the tray. Sounds like it may work. I may video the attempt for the further amusement of the board.

edited to remove small illiteracy - others may remain.
                            Last edited by quanglewangle; 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM.
                            ∃

Comment

QW, I've very much enjoyed this thread. Keep them coming!

Comment

How about dampening half a sheet of kitchen roll placing your seeds on it then fold other half over run the side of your hand over it to stick the paper together, this of course can be done as a family activity and if you all sit round a small table you only need the one light and as you are old, two of your children can sit either side of you for support and again as you would all be sitting close together you get shared body warmth which means less heating therefore saving money

I wish I had thought of this when my family were in the house, now I will need to wait till I am old and get the grandchildrens help
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X