2019 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many is enough?

Last year I had 3 plants and could barely keep up eating the things, there are only the 2 of us. So am going to stick to 3 plants again this year the spare with be donated to my Dad who would have won something in last years comp I am sure

VP
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vegi potager; 08-04-2019, 10:08 PM. Reason: Dads trombos added for your viewing pleasure?!
    V.P.
    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

• I have seedlings!
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• I too have gangly seedlings searching for sunshine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
          I would also like to know the answer . So I had a Google................. I still have no idea .
          As far as I could workout there's Tromboncino d'albenga and Tromboncino. Then depending where you look for info some of the crookneck squash are known as Tromboncino
          Tromboncino just means trumpet shaped, so they all look the same. Tromba d'Albenga is just a variety of squash grown in Albenga, eaten as a courgette in Summer or left to ripen for winter storage. It's the one I prefer to grow, but there's not much difference between them, although Serpente Di Sicilia looks more snake-like without the swollen end which tends to amuse people

Comment

• Thanks Thelma, that's very helpful
            I'm not have much luck with mine. If nothing has appeared by time my friends leave at the weekend. I'll rev up the heated propagator and try a 3rd sowing in their ( Along with a few other things that aren't playing ball this year ).
            I must be honest even though it's a newly brought packet of seeds, none of them look that good .

Comment

• Good luck with resowing, but there's still plenty of time, they grow so v quickly once they germinate!
              I was surprised when I saw how many people have already started theirs. Mine will stay in their seed packet for a few more weeks yet

Comment

• Mine have survived the move from grow lights in the back room to protection in the glass house. There are at least 4-6 weeks left before they can go out into the garden. Hopefully this weekend marks the end of frosts and the BBC weather website is looking good for night temps of around 7c from next Monday on. I agree with Thelma, I probably should have left them in the packet longer but got over excited when I discovered this thread.
                VP
                V.P.
                The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

• I have three seedlings out of nine sowed so far! Woop woop!
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    Thanks Thelma, that's very helpful
                    I'm not have much luck with mine. If nothing has appeared by time my friends leave at the weekend. I'll rev up the heated propagator and try a 3rd sowing in their ( Along with a few other things that aren't playing ball this year ).
                    I must be honest even though it's a newly brought packet of seeds, none of them look that good .
                    A lot of seeds seem very slow of the mark this year,propagator or not,i'ts as if they know timing is wrong,when they finaly start to pop up,they very slow to get going,my 2 have been at seed leaves a while now,sown 2 more yesterday,turn around and they will have taken over heheheh.
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• I did 4 pots with 2 seeds in each, meaning to weed out the weakest one, but all of them came up, and theres not much difference between them, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the 4 very slightly smaller ones so teased them out carefully and potted them on, hopefully they will be ok, and Ill have 8 decent tromba plants
                      Last edited by Urban; 10-04-2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• I'm sure they will be fine Urban

I've taken mine upstairs for some mollycoddling, as it's warmer upstairs, to see if I can get more to germinate
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• My two have germinated! Although in my enthusiasm I helped one with its seed cover and it wasn't ready

Comment

• Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                            I'm sure they will be fine Urban

I've taken mine upstairs for some mollycoddling, as it's warmer upstairs, to see if I can get more to germinate

Yeh your right. Can't tell the difference between them to be honest. I've got 8 tromba plant's on the go. And another 4 seeds in as backup's
                            Last edited by Urban; 14-04-2019, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• I have a 6 foot obelisk I could grow these up, so reading everyone's comments about how good they are to eat, I've sent off for some seeds this morning. I think I need to hold off sowing though - down to zero in my garden overnight the past few days! Maybe end of this month.
                              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• I have germination , I have germination , I have germination .
                                Very happy!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X