Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2382763
    Feed the soil, not the plants.
    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
    Bob

Comment

Planted my first seed this afternoon,more to follow at a later date
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

My seeds arrived yesterday I'll sow them next weekend
        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

4 seeds sown today

Comment

Haven't even looked for my seeds yet.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Haven't even looked for my seeds yet.
              Well if they don't turn up just let me know and you can have some of mine....there's 20 in the packet and I'm not going to be sowing all of them
              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Don't think I will be sowing any of the squash until just before we go on holiday in April. They're far too thirsty once they come up and if I'm not here to water the poor blighters will suffer. Hopefully they will come up while we are away this way.
                How prolific are the trombos vining habits? Was thinking of putting them in among the vertical sugar pie pumpkins? I generally grow these up some rose arches.

Getting quite excited about growing these �� there seems to be a consensus these are the best tasting summer squash anywhere I've read up on them
                There are no gardening mistakes, only learning curves

No matter how big the job or overwhelming the task, a good dose of sheer obstinacy and bloody-mindedness should see you through

Comment

They don't climb too well on their own and need a little bit of a guiding hand with string to begin with, but I've grown two of them on an arch last year and they loved it. I need to build more arches this year and I'm not sure how to achieve that yet!
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    I'm in
                    Trying a different variety this year. Can't remember the Name , I'll dig the packet out later and find out.
                    Can anyone tell me how many varieties of trombo there are and what different attributes they have i.e. ease of growth, self climbing, size, girth etc. or is it simply the same plant with a different names?
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Has anyone tried growing up the frame of a glassless greenhouse?
                      how heavy are the fruit? Just wondering if the frame will take the weight of a few trobos hanging from it.
                      Will the reach the full height of a greenhouse?
                      sigpic

Comment

My very heaviest trombo last year was huge - 3.8 kg (just had to look back on my photos on my phone as I couldn't remember). But most of mine were picked much smaller, when they were still that lovely lime green with stripes and almost white flesh.. When they mature, like my biggun did (giggles), they go orangey pink inside and very sweet, almost like melon. I only used that one a couple of weeks ago, so they last incredibly well
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                          Can anyone tell me how many varieties of trombo there are and what different attributes they have i.e. ease of growth, self climbing, size, girth etc. or is it simply the same plant with a different names?
                          I would also like to know the answer . So I had a Google................. I still have no idea .
                          As far as I could workout there's Tromboncino d'albenga and Tromboncino. Then depending where you look for info some of the crookneck squash are known as Tromboncino

I think this may be a job better suited to someone considerably more interweb search savvy than me
                          Last edited by Small pumpkin; 25-03-2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I'd like to join please

But first, being a worrier, what's the easiest way to get them growing vertically? Not the best diy person and vertically challenged. I am supposing the bamboo canes we use for climbing beans are not strong enough unless I build a trellis?

Comment

Question is:- Do they need to be grown up anything--if they do, mine may be in for a shock.
                              Feed the soil, not the plants.
                              (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by kitty12345 View Post
                                I'd like to join please

But first, being a worrier, what's the easiest way to get them growing vertically? Not the best diy person and vertically challenged. I am supposing the bamboo canes we use for climbing beans are not strong enough unless I build a trellis?
                                I think a wigwam of bamboo canes will be strong enough. You'll probably need some garden string tied around it at different stages all the way up. They need a bit of encouragement to climb. They're quite happy once they get going.

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
                                Question is:- Do they need to be grown up anything--if they do, mine may be in for a shock.
                                Only problem I see with you not letting them climb, is keeping the growing fruit off the ground is going to be tricky. Nobody wants a tromba with a soggy bottom!

There's a fairly high chance they'll find their own way to climb up somethings as well, especially if you don't want them to

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X