No announcement yet.

How many tomato plants are you growing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came across a photo I had taken of my tomato plants at end of April last year. The plants look not much bigger than some I have now so am reckoning the earlier sowing experiment has put me 4-6 weeks ahead of last year. Am hoping that will mean an earlier / longer tomato crop. We will see...

With the 20 I sowed

Comment

Excited to see signs of germination from the extra 20 seeds I sowed last weekend. All the black icicle and Black Russian are through and a couple of the white zebra and green grapes. Thanks Scarlet.

Comment

So things happened and now I have 230 modules sown up. Apparently when I'm stressed I sow seeds? I suppose April will be a month of rehoming tomatoes.

Comment

Sighs. I need a greenhouse. I'll probably be growing around 6, maybe more if I can squeeze them in. I usually grow them in the growhouse, with the top open when they get too tall, but this year the growhouse will just be for cucs and chillies, as the toms which I grew in troughs along the wall next to the growhouse actually did better, probably because they get more sun.

We like toms for salads and snacking, and for making pasta sauce or a big slice on a burger, so I'll be growing mostly sungold and probably costoluto fiorentino. But I might change my mind when I sow...

Comment

If there is any way you can get a greenhouse I would definitely do it. It’s made a massive difference to what and how much I can grow.

Scarlet - two of the orange banana seeds have germinated. Really good germination from those seeds you sent me. Thanks so much.

Comment

Due to limited space I only usually grow an few, but this year I have 15 lined up.

3x windowbox yellow (these are only about 2'x2' so ideal for wall troughs)
              3x tumbling Tom reds to hang in the greenhouse- not an inch of space going to waste here!
              3x gardeners delight for the greenhouse
              3x Alicante for the greenhouse
              2x legend for out in the front garden (an experiment growing them among some of the the squash and nasturtiums)
              1x random hybrid which has self seeded and has the characteristics of the gardeners delight and sungold so I want to see what it produces!)

Mostly need tomatoes for fresh use as my kids (5,3&3 years) eat them like sweets 😁 we adults are lucky to get any of the cherry ones 😂The rest gets bottled as sauce at the end of season.

On a side note I used volcanic rock dust in the pots last year and the growth/crop/flavour were magnificent... For all the vines....I couldn't recommend it more!
              There are no gardening mistakes, only learning curves

No matter how big the job or overwhelming the task, a good dose of sheer obstinacy and bloody-mindedness should see you through

Comment

I probably repot my tomatoes a bit quickly. This one is starting to get a bit top heavy looking. Looks like the roots are at the bottom of the pot. Interested to hear if others would repot now or wait for a while. The plant is 15cm high and has been in the pot since 2nd feb.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CE1E180-AF70-43B6-B92E-375A650AA63C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2382692

Probably helpful if I attached a picture !

Comment

If the roots are coming through, yes, repot in a taller and wider pot. You can also plant tomatoes quite deep. It encourages them to make more roots higher up the stem, making for a very healthy and vigorous plant (all other things being equal!). I'd repot that down to the first set of leaves at the bottom.

Otherwise, it's a lovely, healthy looking plant. Happy growing.

Comment

I'll have six standard toms, 6 cherry and six yellow plum small . The standards get grown at home and the others in the tunnel at the plot.

Comment

Far too many! I definitely got overexcited. At the moment, I’ve got 4 gardeners delights, 4 Tiny Tim, 6 Roma, 6 Idli and 5 sungold. I’ve probably got space for about 6-8 so the rest will be donated to school for the kids to look after.

Comment

I sowed. My list changed.

Sungold, Arctic Plenty, Red Pear, Super Marmande, Black Russian and Costoluto Fiorentino. I sowed 4 of each and 8 of Sungold.

I have space for 6. Maybe 7.

Thankfully I have some friends who will want spares, and they won't all come up. But the trickiest bit is when they're all potted up and still can't go out permanently.... That's the point at which the Husband starts to give me the side-eye. Thankfully he knows that it's temporary and the end is in sight. ;-)

Comment

had a bit of a flurry on the weekend:
                            I've now got - 8 Marmande coming up nicely
                            8 or so red pear in the heated propagator
                            8 ish Curo di Bue
                            8 ish San Marzella in propagators in the greenhouse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X