No announcement yet.

How many tomato plants are you growing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far I have two module trays of tomato seedlings, 6 varieties, around 40 plants. I expect to give away a dozen or so to relatives. I have more varieties I could grow but the propagator is full of peppers at the moment. The plan is to have a long row of outdoor tomato plants this year plus the usual cherries in the hanging baskets.

Comment

Usual selection of fairly blight resistant varieties. Apero (cherry), Fantasio (normal), Giulietta & San Marzano (plum) and Faworyt (beefsteak).

San Marzano and Faworyt don't claim to be blight resistant, but the other varieties do. I don't know if it was because they were amongst the blight resistant varieties, but they also remained fairly clear, only really succumbing late into October. Didn't actually see any blight last year on the spuds, it was probably the roasting weather, although there were still quite a number of Smith periods.

However to answer the question posed, probably about 8
      Last edited by Vince G; 04-03-2019, 10:51 PM.
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I'll have 12 in in GH the majority will be Black Cherry, then one each of San Marzano, Shirleys and Gardeners Delight.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Tomatoes

Wow reading all these replies has got me thinking I’m going to get this wrong.

I was intending to plant about four tomato plants when I get my plot. There’s three of us to feed and we do like them so maybe I’ve got to rethink this.

Don’t have a greenhouse so they have to be outdoor varieties.
          Leafy Hampshire
          2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

I've got about 150 plants over 4 varieties - I'll probably end up with about 20 planted out - the rest will get sold, given away or discarded.

Comment

Originally posted by geepee View Post
              But might try to persuade a 'Friend' of mine to sell me one (or 2) of her Large Beefsteak varieties that she grew last year , They had stems as thick as anything I've ever seen before , did'nt grow Massively high and had fruit like Bowling balls ..!!!(well nearly) !
              She loves them but I cant remember the name let alone pronounce it !!
              I'm intrigued now, geepee. If you find out, you just have to let us know.

Nickdub, sounds like you've got plenty but if you're growing on 60, Sarriss, looks like you might be the winner so far. How many people is that for?

Still waiting to hear from Cadalot...

Comment

Frankly I have too many plants, but a couple of packets were Lidl specials which cost under a £1 each but had loads of seed in ( marmande + harzfeuer) so I sowed half the seeds in each of these - which mostly accounts for the over-supply :-)
                Last edited by nickdub; 05-03-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                  Nickdub, sounds like you've got plenty but if you're growing on 60, Sarriss, looks like you might be the winner so far. How many people is that for?
                  I stopped counting at 60, that was in two large trays. I have two more large trays with pots that have up to four plants in each. I have no idea what to do with them all - they were old seeds and I didn't expect them all to germinate lol So it looks like I have around 120 plants *faints*
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

120 plants?! That is rather a lot. Any plans what to do with them?

Comment

120 plants?! That is rather a lot. Any plans what to do with them?
                      I know it's a lot - I'm perspirating at the thought of what to do with them lol
                      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grew 8 last year, 2 each of Sungold, Yellow Pear Cherry, Rosella and a green cherry.

Wasn't enough to meet demand, especially Sungold so I'm aiming to grow 20 this year - 6 Sungold plus an assortment of others.

Doesn't seem that many compared to some of you (120!!) but I am allergic to tomatoes and will eat precisely 0 of what I grow...

Comment

Gosh, what do you all do with that many? 12 plants for two people as a guide?

I grew 8 last year and had tonnes for two people to eat, make into sauces and soups (incl freezing LOTS), make into passata and chutney, and buckets to give away fresh.

I had extra seedlings but gave those away (yeah, I could not stop sowing "just a couple more", you know, just in case...)

I grew two Sungold, one Gardener's Delight, one Black Cherry, two Rosa de Barbastro, and two San Marzano Redorta. Oh, and a Tumbling Tom in a hanging basket, for fun (I dried a lot of those). So that is actually 8 1/2

I found 8 plants is the limit for my greenhouse (I have to make space for a couple each of cucumbers, peppers and chillis and the tender herbs) - I could barely get in there! Seriously, I had to machette stuff back to get through the door last summer.

This is an excellent question, I as I noticed some growing a dozen+ varieties each year. What do people do with dozens of plants? Do you have big families?? Do you sell them? Really, I am curious.

Comment

^I'm intrigued you grew Rosa de Barbastro. I've not come across anyone in the UK growing them before. One of my favourites. So easy to peel.

We'll have 32 plants this year. I don't like to grow just one of something in case it fails, so some are an insurance policy, so to speak. We eat loads (gazpacho uses up a fair few in one go and I love tomato salad), friends have lots and the dogs eat a fair few (though maybe not this year as I'm fencing in this part of the plot). Some will be frozen and some will be canned. Some will inevitably rot or split...

Edited to say: I should add that I grow all mine outdoors, so space is less of an issue.
                            Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-03-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

A lot more than I need, although germination has been slow so far - 6 Mountain Magic (to go outside), 6 Ferline (will try half in the greenhouse and have outside), 7 Sungold and 5 that the name escapes me .... all of the packets sent by T&M as part of the 5-a-day collection and had sow by dates passed.

I've ordered gardeners delight and black cherry seeds so will be aiming for 4 or 5 of each of those this year.

Comment

^

Edited to say: I should add that I grow all mine outdoors, so space is less of an issue.
                                The benefit of being in Spain no doubt. Mine will have to all be outdoors too, fingers crossed we get decent weather.
                                Leafy Hampshire
                                2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X