No announcement yet.

How many tomato plants are you growing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^It's not an ideal part of Spain for growing toms... Here they're often killed off by cold towards the end of September.
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-03-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't intentional to have that many LOL I sowed really old seeds and all the buggers germinated lol I will take a load to work for people, but I'm going to experiment and have toms outdoors too this year. I just don't seem to get enough tomatoes for even just me with what I grew last year, around 20 plants... It's only enough for fresh use. Maybe I'm no good at tomatoes and get rubbish yields... I have another greenhouse this year, and a polytunnel, so more space!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
        Yeah, it wasn't intentional to have that many LOL I sowed really old seeds and all the buggers germinated lol I will take a load to work for people, but I'm going to experiment and have toms outdoors too this year. I just don't seem to get enough tomatoes for even just me with what I grew last year, around 20 plants... It's only enough for fresh use. Maybe I'm no good at tomatoes and get rubbish yields... I have another greenhouse this year, and a polytunnel, so more space!
        I'm in a similar position to you, though in my case the over-supply of plants is more down to cheap Lidl seeds than anything-else. I find I rarely have all that many tomatoes to spare - that may be poor attention to giving them optimum growing conditions on my part - I tend towards the slap-dash side sometimes.

I did manage to sell a wodge of spare plants last year, so I'll probably do that again this time round.

Comment

I've just sown another 60+ seeds - hoping to grow 20 or so in the GH and will try the rest outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            ^I'm intrigued you grew Rosa de Barbastro. I've not come across anyone in the UK growing them before. One of my favourites. So easy to peel.

...and the dogs eat a fair few...

Edited to say: I should add that I grow all mine outdoors, so space is less of an issue.
            Yeah, that must be my problem: I have cats: the useless creatures don't like tomatoes

The Rosa de Barbastro came from a Spanish ex-colleague - his sister grows them there. They are amazing tasting but you only get a few (monster sized) pink fruits. But they are well worth it. Let me know if you want some seed, ha-ha, not that I want encourage you to grow MORE tomatoes

Ah, OK! Well, I gave up on outdoor growing of tomatoes. It worked very well when I lived in the US but it is heartbreaking here.

Comment

Iv'e sown so far 10 varities 12 of each in modules and a seed tray full of Marmande ,so depending on what comes up I should have enough ! but Iv'e a few more types I want to try . atb Dal.

Comment

I managed to grow all of mine outdoors last summer and not get blight! It was great! I will try not to get complacent and be more strict on the pruning in the future in case they need to go inside...they got a bit out of control on the patio. The wild tomato jungle was not what I'm used to, peppers and aubergine are quite well behaved.

Comment

Sowed another 20 tomato seeds today. Already got about 25 on the go. New ones are from seeds that Scarlet sent me - black icicle, Black Russian, green grape, orange banana and white zebra. Think I can fit in 11 outside and was planning for about 10 in the greenhouse. So reckon I have a few extras as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by B Porcupine View Post
                    The Rosa de Barbastro came from a Spanish ex-colleague - his sister grows them there. They are amazing tasting but you only get a few (monster sized) pink fruits. But they are well worth it. Let me know if you want some seed, ha-ha, not that I want encourage you to grow MORE tomatoes
                    I cheat and actually buy these as plug plants. Either that or one of the locals gives me his spares. They are really good salad toms, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by PepperMonster View Post
                      peppers and aubergine are quite well behaved.
                      Really!?! Mine are bl@@dy great thugs .
                      Mind so are the tomatoes

Comment

had a look in the proagators this morn and from nowt yesterday to 50% growth today! well pleased because most that have germinated so far are self saved seeds from last year spread out on tissue & dried .atb Dal.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I've just sown another 60+ seeds - hoping to grow 20 or so in the GH and will try the rest outdoors.
                          Some of mine have germinated too - that's 4 days.
                          First up was Scarlet's Violet Jasper (like the name so had to give Violet a go).

Comment

I don't actually like tomatoes "raw" (or very rarely a beefsteak one on a burger), but I do like pasta sauce which t'mussus makes in abundance and apparently the rest of the family like them so...

Golden Sunburst x 5
                            San Marzano x 5
                            Yellow brandywine x 4
                            Gardeners delight x 5 - probably give these ones to my mother later
                            Giant Tree x 5
                            Green Zebra x 5
                            Sungold F1 (a seed left over from last year)
                            Big Daddy F1 (a seed left over from last year)
                            Speckled Roman x 5
                            Red Pear x 5
                            Golden cherry x 3
                            Kelloggs breakfast x 5

And 10 more plum types that I don't actually have yet but I'm instructed that they are in the post. The above was only planted yesterday.

I have space for 26 plants in the main central bed in the tunnel and then I have other beds or large self watering pots for others. Obviously there's too many here for the space so I'll have to have a cull at some point - I'll just see what plants are the strongest. I estimate about 30 plants at the end of the day.

Comment

Looks like 5 or maybe 6.

Comment

The plan is for 32 (16 in each greenhouse) (I think one needs that number to get a full mix of colours and sizes) but it might be more. I've sown 42 different varieties so it might end up being that number if I can fit them in.

What weight of tomatoes do people get from their plants? I seem to average about 1-1.5kg (but that's a mix of different sizes).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X