No announcement yet.

Anyones rhubarb starting showing yet..?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly off topic but it's Wakefield Rhubarb Festival this weekend if anyone is in the vicinity.

Comment

Mine started to show mid to late December. I'm not sure on the variety, my grandad gave me them back in 2012. I'm forcing the one for the first time. I split one plant into 5 and they are coming along nicely.

The other two mature plants are looking really healthy. I reckon I'll be picking them early April
      An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

The rhubarb I inherited with my allotment has been up for a while now with stems a few inches long, probably an early variety. The one I have at home is a really old Victorian one from my Grandparents garden, it's only just starting to bud and unfurl now.

Comment

There is no sign of my Stockbridge Arrows that I split last year (tho' hubby weeded around them and said they are about to pop). Nor have the Giant Grooveless Crimson or Fulton's Straberry Surprise poked their heads out yet. But I was pleasantly surprised (or not surprised, because of its name) to find the Timperly Early up and starting to zip along. Well chuffed as it a new-ish acquistition from a potato day last year, bought as a bag of dirt and roots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Small_Rhubarb.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	2382436

Comment

I've got two in pots at the moment as I'm waiting to either get a 2nd plot on which I can plant them permanently or decide where is a good spot on Plot 1 (ie where Neil won't walk over them whilst rebuilding shed & polytunnel!) this summer.

Poulton's Pride started about a month or so ago and is shooting well but my Apple Delight has only just unfurled a leaf
            Last edited by Gillykat; 12-03-2019, 12:29 PM.
            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Name:	DSC_1753-960x540.jpg
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	2382451

So these are ours today, left is Timperley early, 3 years since I planted it and right is unknown variety and age. I have wondered that it is likely also Timperley early as they are very similar.

Comment

Mine today. Same variety as Jimny.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	2382455

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                  Mine died back completely last year and no sign of it yet. Is in the shade though. Am hoping it hasn't died.
                  Yeah. A little crinkled rhubarb leaf has appeared. Looks like there is some life in there.

Comment

yeah i picked enough for a crumble yesterday to give to my mum for a crumble , prob 6-8 stalks
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

This is my "skip found" rhubarb crown that i split into 4 last year. Can't wait to eat it for the first time
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                        This is my "skip found" rhubarb crown that i split into 4 last year. Can't wait to eat it for the first time
                        Oh wow, I'd start picking! How lovely!
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks.
                          It's still smallish, maybe a ft or so in height. Would you pick so soon?
                          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't....I would wait a bit longer. I don't think they are ready yet.
                            Last edited by Scarlet; 01-03-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I picked some of my forced rhubarb yesterday. Lovely stuff

Name:	20190312_114817.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2382645
                              An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Made a delicious rhubarb upside-down cake this afternoon with a couple of sticks from our front garden. Reckon I might muster enough for a crumble in a week or so...

(How do I add photos, btw?)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X