X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they’re getting ready to see you

Comment

Is anybody else struggling to get seeds? Not only are my plants not producing much fruit, but many of the beefsteak have no seeds, just solid flesh. Never seen this before. I’m hoping that it’s a “early in the season” thing and that the later fruits will have seed.

Comment

Lots of mine haven't many seeds!
        I've saved black and brown boar and just bagged 6 seeds each and the Berkeley tie-dye the same.
        4 per bag will be fine if you are struggling? Let's hope for a couple of weeks of sun. We seem to have moved swiftly to Autumn. September is usually a good month for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Lots of mine haven't many seeds!
          I've saved black and brown boar and just bagged 6 seeds each and the Berkeley tie-dye the same.
          4 per bag will be fine if you are struggling? Let's hope for a couple of weeks of sun. We seem to have moved swiftly to Autumn. September is usually a good month for me.
          I meant to put a picture but couldn't work out how to get it from my tablet. Here's Summer Cider:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2385265
          & Marizol Gold

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2385266
          Neither as big as I would normally expect.

Comment

My PBTD have barely had seeds either and those I could find weren't fully formed.

Comment

Parthenocarpy can happen at high temperatures,the heat has affected some of my tomato size,some small tomatoes mixed with big tomatoes & quite a few aborted flowers,I found this -
              “Plants grown at 26 C had a poor appearance and by the end of the experiment approx. 40% of the terminal meristems were blind. Trusses tended to be abnormal; some aborted while others had reduced bud numbers. There was poor fruit set and fruits tended to be either parthenocarpic (seedless) or have low seed numbers. Plants grown at 22 C and 18 C produced normal fruits and had a normal canopy structure, whereas growth was greatly reduced at 14 C and trusses had many flowers and were prone to splitting. Furthermore, at this temperature fruits were parthenocarpic, small, hard and of no marketable value.”
              https://oup.silverchair-cdn.com/oup/...5G5CRDK6RD3PGA
              Last edited by Jungle Jane; 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MelanieSW View Post
                I'm very pleased with my Sun Baby cherry tomatoes this year.

Vigorous growth (the plants needed 2 stakes each), open pollinated, and tasty. And laden with fruit, even though I just let them do their thing and didn't pinch out etc so it ended up more bush than cordon.

They were grown outdoors, from seed saved from a plant bought last year from my local diy store.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88676[/ATTACH]
                I'm not a fan of the Sun Baby variety. It doesn't taste great, it doesn't produce a lot of fruit and it is also slow to ripen.

I have found Sun Gold to be a far superior variety in terms of production, growth rate, taste, smell, looks etc. Of course Sun Gold probably goes into the top 3 on most people's lists in general.

So I won't be growing Sun Baby again next year. It's certainly not the worst tomato out there, but definitely not the best either. There's far better out there. In fact I wouldn't even put it in my top 10 this season. It might not even get into the top 15.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pepper Man View Post
                  Of course Sun Gold probably goes into the top 3 on most people's lists in general.
                  Taste is very subjective. Sun gold for me is much too sweet and tastes artificial. Hasn't got that lovely tomato bite and isn't on my grow list!

#and I won't buy F1 tomato seeds either.
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 08-09-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

JJ - I had lots of aborted flowers during the hot spell. Though I have been lucky with fruit size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Taste is very subjective. Sun gold for me is much too sweet and tastes artificial. Hasn't got that lovely tomato bite and isn't on my grow list!
                      I totally agree, Scarlet - I don't grow it either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        JJ - I had lots of aborted flowers during the hot spell. Though I have been lucky with fruit size.
                        It's been a funny old year - in my greenhouse, some of the bigger toms are carrying a huge yield - although they started ripening bit later than usual, despite the hot spell. Cherries were ok but nothing special.

Comment

• I have had good yields to be fair....but during the hot spell it slowed down. I've also had lots of large trusses of fruit more so than ever before I think.

Name:	2CAB03A4-1E21-4CCC-B3B2-608555BFED16.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2385273

(I'm gutted cos my phone packed up last week and I've lost a lot of photos...my stuff has issues with data as I take too many )

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pepper Man View Post
                            I'm not a fan of the Sun Baby variety. It doesn't taste great, it doesn't produce a lot of fruit and it is also slow to ripen.

I have found Sun Gold to be a far superior variety in terms of production, growth rate, taste, smell, looks etc. Of course Sun Gold probably goes into the top 3 on most people's lists in general.

So I won't be growing Sun Baby again next year. It's certainly not the worst tomato out there, but definitely not the best either. There's far better out there. In fact I wouldn't even put it in my top 10 this season. It might not even get into the top 15.
                            That's harsh
                            It produced a big crop for me, and the fruit tastes best if it gets a lot of sun - as the name implies.

Comment

• How do i know when these Black Russians are ready please?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Give them a squeeze, they need to give a little.

#Get a glass of wine ready...perfect pairing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X