Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sowed some spring onions, shallots and mixed salad leaves.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Cape gooseberries from saved seed,one odd tomato seed from supermarket poor thinkg had a tiny rood already so I chucked it with physallis .

Comment

A small tray of Harzfeuer and Alicante tomato seeds plus a few Tam Jalapeno (Mild)
        sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

Lettuce - marvel of four seasons
          Tomatoes - gardeners delight and pomodoro
          Peas - petit de provence
          Sprouting Broccoli - summer purple
          Rugosa Friulana
          And a tall pot of carrots in the greenhouse - this method worked really well last year so I plan to sow successive pots of carrots every month to maintain a steady supply.

Comment

I’m close to sowing some carrots in the polytunnel. I spent a happy hour making up the compost: sieved leaf mould, old container compost, some sharp sand and a few handfuls of Marshall’s manure. And a layer of bought compost on top to reduce weed germination. The temperature still a bit on the low side to actually sow the seeds....maybe another week now the weather is warming up a bit. But I’m ready to go....I’m going to sow the seeds individually at 5-6 cm spacing each way and hope for the best. It’s a bit of a job sieving everything so when the carrots are done that compost is going to be jazzed up a bit and redeployed.

Comment

Im close to sowing oniom seed into modules and keeping them in a slightly heated and insulated greenhouse. Does this seem about the right time to sow onion seeds?

Thanks all

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by finglas View Post
                Does this seem about the right time to sow onion seeds?
                I think it'll be ok.....still new to doing onions myself I've got some Walla Walla onion seed which I plan to start off in modules in the propagator on the living room window as it's a touch too cold to be up in the unheated greenhouse on the allotment just yet.
                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I've sown 16 types of Alliums today (none of them what you would call "onions").

Comment

Got my new heated propagator! Very excited flurry of seed sowing followed.

Chillis - De Cayenne, Cayenetta, Habanero, Jalapeņo and Hotscotch.

Tomatoes - Marmande, Oxheart Raspberry Pink and Black Cherry.

Rhubarb - this last is an experiment as until recently I had not encountered rhubarb seeds, I feel sort of stupid as logically they must have them but I've never seen a rhubarb flower.

Comment

My spring onion and shallot seeds have all germinated.
                      My salad leaf mix are also looking good.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

planted two full packets of bedford champion onions which are dated 2004 best before.
                        not too hopeful though
                        sigpic

Comment

Sown a couple more chillies because I haven't got many.
                          Joe's long
                          Hot cherry paprika
                          Cherry bomb
                          Ring of fire
                          Cayenne
                          Golden cayenne
                          Jalapeņo
                          Jalapeņo fooled you
                          Farmers market jalapeņo

Comment

sowing

Lots of sowing today...

Peas (4 varieties: Douce provence, blauschok purple, alderman and Carouby) 106 in total

In the propagator Brussels sprouts, leek, cabbage, 2 varieties of lettuce, pak choi.

topped up the salad window box which have provided baby salad leaves all year long and really speeding up their growth now with red mustard giant and lamb's lettuce.

Comment

The tomato seeds are germinating, six seedlings so far.

Comment

Tomatoes sown 2nd Jan and Courgettes and Cucumbers sown 14th Jan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0160.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	2382284

The very leggy toms near the window are the trailers and tumblers. The little ones are the patio pot types.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X