This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Its Weedy Wednesday and my Weed of the Week was Couch grass. Managed to dig enough roots up to fill a trug.
    There's a lot of satisfaction in digging up couch when the soil is damp enough to push a fork in easily but dry enough that the soil falls from the roots with a good shake.
    Maybe this should be on the Happy thread.
    I was digging tatties the other day and was surprised to find a couch grass rhizome had actually grown THROUGH a tattie. That's the first time I have ever witnessed that.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• You mustn't have much couch grass Snadger, I tend to find a few potatoes like that every year.

Today I took the fleece off my climbing french beans and cleared away my pea and broad bean supports for the year.

Comment

• Finished putting cow manure on one of the raised beds. Another 5 barrow loads. Then Covered it for the winter.

Comment

• Today there was a bit of ripping out and cutting down in a couple of the tunnels.
          Gave the asparagus a top dressing of manure.
          Did a bit of harvesting.
          Finished packaging up seeds for the circles.
          Last edited by Small pumpkin; 04-10-2019, 03:46 PM. Reason: Forgot about playing with seeds

Comment

• Weeding the beds and GH border.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Today I removed a badly degraded plastic cover from a little cheap poly tunnel. Little squares of plastic from the mesh rained down upon me and on my precious soil. I’m not buying one of those again. The frame seems quite good so I might get some netting over it and use it as a fruit cage.

By the afternoon it was raining heavily and steadily and I didn’t do much. The chickens only gave me three eggs today and frankly I don’t blame them.

Comment

• I went up to the allotment with the doggies, with the aim of picking all the beans, some kale and chard, all the pumpkins and squashes, and since I'm aiming to do a stew later in the week, some celery.
                The kale and chard are still going very strong, in fact the chard bolted a while back and since I cut the flower stems, the leaves are growing lovely again. I got everything done quite quickly and ended up with one large shopping bag full of squashes and pumpkins, one bag for life full of beans (both dried and fresh), one large tray full of apples, and a bag for life full of kale and chard.
                What surprises me the most is that the pattypan is still producing as if it's summer! I hope it can keep going for a little longer before the frost...
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Got a full uninterrupted 6 hours on the plot ;-)
                  Took up all curcurbits (frost last Tuesday), weeded the beds they had been in, planted garlic and Japanese onions, and almost built a new compost bin (forgot to take rope with me....)

Comment

• Dead headed the dahlias which are still giving a good display in spite of the weather.
                    Cut down more of the sweetpeas and saved some of the seeds.
                    Did a bit of weeding.
                    Watered the greenhouse tomatoes and cut down a few that had finished.
                    It was a lovely afternoon and great to be out in the garden after all the rain.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Stacking turf for the winter fires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32CD46FE-9477-4952-9E70-3EA6C560C0AC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	2385527

Name:	602E14E0-4C1F-43F8-B92F-8E04B28ECDDD.jpg
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	2385528

Name:	0402FD21-9DBF-4A7B-97EA-10C21D795EBD.jpg
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	2385529

Name:	57018F5B-69AF-4854-94B0-3B25F229989C.jpg
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	2385530

Comment

• Oh I can almost smell that turf.
                        Today I mulched multiple beds with old cow manure I had layered with leaves for a year. It’s nice stuff. I topped it with some leafmould and I hope that’s all I will have to add fertility wise for next year.
                        I picked up several barrows full of pine needles and mulched marginal areas for long term fertility and a bit of weed suppression. Also to get the pine needles off my driveway and paved areas. I yanked out pumpkin leaves and with some relief also pulled out courgette plants which I’m glad to see the back of. Definitely not planting so many next year.

Comment

• Salad

I make a good Vegetarian Salad today
                          2 Tomatoes
                          3 Cucumbers
                          1 Red Onion
                          2 sprigs of Fresh dill
                          1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
                          Pinch of Sea salt
                          Pinch of Black Pepper
                          Really tasty and fresh

Comment

• Saturday, picked broccoli, beetroot sweetcorn, and beans looking dry enough to keep for next year's seed.
                            Sunday, picked butternut squash, and sowed green manure in a few beds

Comment

• Out for most of the day, but did spend an hour in the greenhouse, picked(and ate) a few last strawberries and tidied up the plants a bit. Picked a few tomatoes, now only got one red plum and two british breakfast still growing, others have been outed to the compost heap. The cut and come again lettuce are growing slowly, but with overnight temps now down to 4 degrees inside the greenhouse, not too sure if they will come to much.

Comment

• Started cutting down chillies and a bit more clearing out of tunnels.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X