Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent most of the day ripping things out of the veggie garden and shredding it. Stuff that had finished or stuff that really wasn’t going to do anything this year. Harvested stuff as well.
    Put my raspberry support back together.

Comment

• Filled 4 bin bags with bind weed yesterday.
      And this evening, canned a batch of tomato-courgette sauce. That's it.

Comment

• Fed chillies.
        Made seed envelopes from junk mail magazines. Ready for the seed circles.

Comment

• Cut my JA's to around 4ft high they were getting to tall so rocked in the wind. Dug out wild blackberries amongst my hornless bushes, pulled out self seeded herb fennel and teasels.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Cut back some of the sweet peas that are past their best. Cant believe the summer has passed so quickly.
            Potted up a bag of daffodil bulbs which I had forgotten about.
            Stripped more leaves from the tomato plants.ldeadheaded the dahlias.
            Started my tomato seed saving.
            Weeding and weeding.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I cleaned and tidied the house, tidied the garden, sowed some cabbages in teeny tiny plug trays, went to do some food shopping, went for a run and had potatoes, kale and sea bass for tea. Phew.
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Picked some fluffy seed pods off my HSL heritage lettuce which are at last ripening.
                Stressed over why my Cherokee Purple toms have developed black patches. Leaves and stems are fine and no ‘Blight’ smell so maybe they are just starting to change colour from green
                Picked off cabbage white caterpillars as I cant put up fleece or netting in that area of the garden.
                All at once I hear your voice
                And time just slips away
                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

• Planted out my first batch of winter jewel cabbage, the plants were a good 8” tall.
                  Sowed new cabbage seed , new lettuce seed, and beetroot seed.

Comment

• I went shopping this morning, first for fish on the docks - got some lemon sole, (less than Ł2 for a fillet), mackerel and some beautiful big cooked prawns. Yum

Then went to The Range and got some treats for the pets, and a fair few seed trays that were on sale, including trays which I know will be so useful in the spring.

Then on to B$Q for a rechargeable grass strimmer for just Ł44, which I think is a bargain. Turns out it's not incredibly powerful, but it's perfectly capable of dealing with even the rougher grasses on my plot, so I'm very happy indeed.

Then we had a barbeque on the allotment site, so we've had a good laugh, lots of food, including some grilled veggies and pineapple. Afterwards I went back to the plots and finished off the strimming until I'd run out of battery charge, then picked my first tromboncino of the season, and it has grown fantastically well just in the last week! And two yellow patty pans

More tomorrow
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Started cleanup of the bottom end of the allotment, behind the shed and compost bins, which was starting to get overrun by bindweed. Dug, found and removed old carpet, sieved soil, collected several bin bags of bindweed roots and shoots. Found and removed several slugs and their egg nests. Covered with weed membrane and bark chips.
                      Picked lots of tomatoes (slightly panicked as I'd heard that blight has arrived in a nearby plot).
                      Got rained on and sprinted home.

Comment

• Dug up potatoes (red. Don't recall buying any red ones...).
                        Built a new bed (larger in area, but centred on potato bed), watered, picked things.

Comment

• Had a delivery. It’s better than that weird day in December!

Click image for larger version

Name:	77214A65-61DF-4151-A2B4-C3AC9AEF95A0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	2385228

That is now covered with a bright red tarp .

Tidied the little tunnel and starting shutting it down. There’s only a few mystery chillies and asparagus in there now.

Set up onion drying rack in little tunnel and pulled what onions were ready for drying.

Spending the rest of the afternoon in the kitchen.

Comment

• Taken down the 3 pea wigwams and netting.
                            Weeded the bed they came out of.
                            Cleaned some seeds.
                            Closed up the salad bar for the year.
                            Covered the sales barrow.

Comment

• Picked up another 2 builder's buckets of apples and watered the tomatoes
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Watered everything in the greenhouse.
                                Stripped a lot of leaves from the tomato plants.
                                Emptied my two half barrels and got a good crop of potatoes.
                                Cut back lots of sweetpeas that have gone over.
                                Dead headed the dahlias.
                                Saved seeds from sweetpeas and dahlias.
                                Dried out more tomato seeds.
                                And of course weeding.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse