Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weeded and top dressed the kale bed. They’re looking pretty sorry for themselves right now. Straightened and fixed up their netting.
    Top dressed the bulbs and the globe artichokes.
    My pond has some sort of glacier forming on top of it.
    He-Pep!

Comment

I removed another huge piece of carpet. Well, I removed all the soil from it, rolled it up in some kind of fashion and tried to drag it off the plot with the van, but the rope snapped several times. The good news is that I shifted it enough to build two compost bins, and I put all the fresh horse manure into one of them.
      Today I also learnt that buying cheap drill bits is a bad idea.
      And had an allotment site meeting and we're thinking about taking over the site from the council, so exciting times!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dropped 15 x Red Barron onion sets in peat pots, and 15 x Home Grown Ailsa Craig sets, indoors for an early start.
        Also 40 x show variety seeds in individual plug trays.

Being measly, I only put one seed per module, lets see how many take.

Comment

Yesterday, sowed 11 types of herbs in pots.
          Today, I cut back last year's herb cuttings, most if which have survived and are putting on new growth.
          Accidentally, snapped a big branch off a rosemary, so all its sideshoots are in a jam jar and, if anyone asks, I took cuttings deliberately. Promise you won't tell??

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Promise you won't tell??
            I won't tell a soul VC! And promise you won't tell anyone I bought MORE seeds??
            I just put in an order with the lovely Seekay on fleabay:
            - Climbing french bean, Blue lake
            - Heliotropium Marine
            - Echinacea purpurea Purple
            - Cabbage, January King
            - Cabbage, Red Drumhead
            - Malabar Spinach, red Ceylon
            - Peppermint Mentha Piperita
            - Climbing french bean, Cobra
            - Gazania Splendens
            - Penstemon Crown Hybrids
            - Cimbing French bean, Cosse violette
            - Parsnip White Gem (cause I have no fresh parsnip seeds)

For no postage, and £9.36 in total! Bladdy bargain!

Shhhh!! :P

Comment

I had planned to send the morning on the allotment as the afternoon is forecast rain but boss rang me last night to ask me to work this morning Just got back home so grabbing a bite to eat then off up to plot via Wilko as I need some seed compost. Need to get a few things started *woohoooooo*

It's pay day today so I'll 'try' not to blow the whole lot on plants
              Last edited by Gillykat; 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM.
              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

There was still frost n the ground and snow on the garden but I was sick of waiting for the weather to improve so I made a start on concreting my sloped path.

I say made a start, because I thought I had bought in stages enough sand gravel and cement to finish it. How wrong I was. After a days work I only have about one third complete, before I ran out of concrete mix. Looks like the job is going to cost three time as much and take three times as long as I anticipated.

Watching out the window now to make sure the local kids don't add there signature to the concrete.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Spent part of the afternoon putting up the 12 dahlias I bought yesterday
                  Actually there was 4 in one of the packs so I have the bakers dozen.
                  They all look like very healthy tubers and a few had the beginning of growth on them.
                  Then potted on my 4 red cabbage plants and my 8 broccoli.
                  Spent a bit of time in the greenhouse tidying and getting it ready.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

today i went to wilkos ,bought 1 bag of white onions ,1 bag of red onions and 1 bag of yellow shallots ,i then went up the plot dug , weeded and raked out the bed and planted them ,v happy with that and i also have enough space in the bed to put in a couple of rows of leeks too ,cheers
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Can't pretend i've actually done anything today, but my seed potatoes arrived, which makes me feel like progress has been made - 1kg each of Anya, Jazzy and King Edward... maybe i'll set them out to chit in egg trays in the greenhouse tonight.
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Planted a couple of mushroom boxes, one with Oca, the other with Chinese Artichokes.
                        Sowed 16 types of Alliums - some ornamental, some edible - including Rocambole (Sand leeks) and Red and white Welsh Onions.

Comment

Hi had an allotment 8 years ago but pressures of my job meant i had to give it up.
                          Now I have a much less stressful job I have free time again, here's what I've done this week.
                          Got my new half plot on Sunday. Wasn't in too bad a state!
                          Have spent every day this week up there putting in raised beds and paths, have shifted 15 barrels of weeds and rubbish and as many of bark chipping for the paths.
                          Biggest weeds are now history.
                          I've planned my plot out and set some seed spuds today to chit.
                          Tomorrow I'll start the work of digging and getting out the smaller weeds.
                          I've got some shallots and onion sets but need to prep the soil.
                          Oh and I've watched the big allotment challenge on you tube today.
                          Had allotment envy watching.it, their plots looked amazing.I
                          Enjoying reading all your advice and hope to learn lots here.
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Welcome back Miffy and congratulations on your new plot.

Comment

Good to see you back Miffy

All I've done today is to weed around my GH lettuce too much rain for anything else.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome back Miffy - sounds like you're busy!

Today I have potted on a gazillion tomato plants! They're now banished from my bedroom's warmth

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X