Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I potted up three seed potatoes in a large pot. I used leaf mould jazzed up a bit with BFB. I’m suspecting it’s really too early but I have put the pot in to the poly tunnel with a plastic cloche over the top so I’m hoping it will beat the frost. There is no frost forecast for a few weeks anyway.

Comment

• Sunday. Achieved much more than I thought I would. Weeded and covered two raised beds, gave the PSB a cheeky feed, lifted a large area of blue tarpaulin and an equally large area of black polythene and laid down some tough weed membrane ahead of siting four more raised beds and finding some woodchip from somewhere. The edges still need tucking in, but this was a much bigger job than it sounds, with lots of clearing and moving things back and forth.

Dug a new entrance for the plot through the shallow bank, sieving and re-using the soil as I went.

Cut the black polythene (it's actually dpc membrane) in half lengthways and used one piece to cover bed 3. Cut a square end off the other piece and re-established the little pond (it's really just a bird/wildlife watering station) near the willow den. Used the rest to cover some of bed 6.

Rabidly went over the plot looking for more things to use as weights to hold down sheet mulches. I need to make some softbricks... is that Cadalot's trademark?

Fed my darling compost daleks, mostly to warm my hands up. ;-)

Came home and sowed early peas and some chillis, which involved unearthing and setting up the heated propagator.

Why, I do believe that's spring around the corner....

Comment

• On Saturday I managed to get to the plot for a couple of hours, and it was t-shirt weather! Or maybe it was freezing and I was just working up a sweat, as I decided to use the time to crack on with the drainage, which is heavy work... managed to fill about 5 metres of trench (pebbles, then landscaping fabric, then gravel, a 6" perforated pipe, then backfill with more gravel) - it's going to be so nice not to have to step over this damn trench all the time, as i have been doing for the past two years! I'll cover it all over with earth now, level the surrounding area and put down some nice turf
        He-Pep!

Comment

• today i went up the plot dug over my my potato bed and weeded all around my garlic ,also my onions and shallots have started growing too
          The Dude abides.

Comment

• More weeding and cutting back of dead stuff.
            Good to see that a lot of the seed heads we left to overwinter have been eaten by the birds (or self seeded!!!!!)
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Today I have mostly.... accepted a new fab job!!

I should really be working on my essay tonight, but I'm so excited I could have a little accident!!
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Congratulations, Sarriss! It's great to have a job you're actually excited about.

Comment

• Cut down my autumn Bliss raspberries apart from a few at the end of the row to get an earlier crop those have been left at 2ft.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Been up the plot doing some tidying up of the strawberry patch.
                    Planted out a tray of new strawberry plants that I propagated from last years runners.
                    Harvested some leeks, chard and broccoli - we shall have them in a cheesy pasta bake for tea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runtpuppy View Post
                      Congratulations, Sarriss! It's great to have a job you're actually excited about.
                      Thank you so much
                      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Nipped to the plot in my lunch break and planted out a dozen or so Spring greens seedlings in the tunnel that I started off in modules last September.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

• Just some weeding and clearing Silver birch twigs from my netting.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Netted my chard against the pigeons, they're absolutely decimating it!
                            He-Pep!

Comment

• Potted on my early tomatoes which are doing very well.
                              Planted up my mixed salad leaves in separate modules.
                              Planted my broccoli and red cabbage plants into small pots in the greenhouse until the weather gets a bit milder.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Potted up my early tomatoes (snap, Bramble) and the cucumbers and courgettes.
                                The cucumbers are in their final positions in the GH and the courgettes are in biggish pots so they can stay in the GH overnight too. I did throw some bubblewrap over them - softie that I am.
                                Continued clearing Bed 4 for some fruit trees and took delivery of some fruit bushes and canes.
                                Could be Fruity Friday tomorrow - weather permitting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X