This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
    Today i started a huge wood chip hotbed inspired by VC's thread from last year.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...bed_95046.html

I've had about 5 ton of wood chip delivered, built a frame out of ten palets and started to fill it, only one problem, I've not enough manure!
    Do you think I can get a similar result by using an alternative nitrogen source?
    Given the time of year and limited access to manure, I'm thinking that if i add lawn feed to the pile, the bacteria/fungi will use this as there nitrogen source and get nice and warm.
    Anyone else with any thoughts would be gratefully welcome please

A guy on the road from botany bay to heapey has a sign out for horse manure... bag your own I thnk

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
      A guy on the road from botany bay to heapey has a sign out for horse manure... bag your own I thnk
      Nice one, 5 mins drive away. Thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
        I've been to the allotment today and lifted more carpets, and some more carpets after that. One piece was so large I couldn't drag it in one piece, but had to pull at each corner, one at a time. Now left in a heap and I might have to get help to shift it, or tie it to the van somehow.

I managed to get the most of the large bed that I wanted alongside the growing tunnel, held up by the enormous amount of bindweed roots that had spread under the carpet. I laid down loads of cardboard, leaves, coffee grounds and horse manure, then compost on top. About a third left to do. I ran out of daylight

Bloody lovely to be up there until 4.30 and enjoyed some sunshine too!
        If you cannot get it into the van, I found an old pair of kitchen scissors the easiest way to cut wet carpet...

I weeded round a couple of soft fruit bushes, relocated some self seeded forget me nots, picked some sprouts, cleaned up the last box of celeriac, picked sellotape off a carload of cardboard. Loved the fact I could still see sellotape at 4.30, then sorted out my seed colection by sowing dates, and made a couple of trays of paper seedling pots :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
          Today i started a huge wood chip hotbed inspired by VC's thread from last year.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...bed_95046.html

I've had about 5 ton of wood chip delivered, built a frame out of ten palets and started to fill it, only one problem, I've not enough manure!
          Do you think I can get a similar result by using an alternative nitrogen source?
          Given the time of year and limited access to manure, I'm thinking that if i add lawn feed to the pile, the bacteria/fungi will use this as there nitrogen source and get nice and warm.
          Anyone else with any thoughts would be gratefully welcome please
          grass cuttings will do the job..
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
            If you cannot get it into the van, I found an old pair of kitchen scissors the easiest way to cut wet carpet...
            Good idea! I have found a box of old stuff that the previous tenant left behind and there's a pair of scissors in there that I can try. The man loved his carpets more than the poor plants lol Three layers in the whole massive bed that I've de-carpeted today.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Emptied lots of big tubs onto the compost with Bob's help.
              Made a new cover for the salad bar. Used spare bits of polytunnel cover. Much stronge than the original and much cheaper than a £30 replacement.

Comment

Erected shed, emptied tools out of greenhouse into shed.

35 bare root strawberries arrived (korona) need to pot em up till later in the year.

Comment

Today I convinced the council to let us have another skip on my allotment, considering I have so much carpet to dispose of!
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Planted out a tray of polyanthus which I bought over the weekend.
                    Lovely bright colours.
                    Spent some time weeding and generally pottering around.
                    It's great to get out even for a little while.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

35 strawberries potted up.

Comment

Compost juggling. One side of the pallet compost bin has been emptied into 3 empty darleks and the last bit spread onto half a bed.
                        New improved growing plan for the first tunnel & the little tunnel has also been devised.

Comment

Ive been playing with the soil thermometer I got for Christmas. Polytunnel soil temp 8 degrees. Outside beds 5 degrees. A large leafmould/grass clipping outside box a whopping 14 degrees.
                          Its a lot of fun if you're a sad person like me. Now I am going to be able to prove exactly why there are so many weed seeds in my home made compost. Gotta love science!

Comment

Friday is Flower day so I've sown 2 half trays with the Lucky jar seeds chosen by Ms-T and SP - they're in the bedroom (the trays, not Ms-T and SP ).
                            Also put two Florence Fennel bases in water to see if I can sprout them. They're not in the bedroom but on the kitchen windowsill.

Comment

Still doing my hedge....loads of crap has crept in from the other side of the fence! And it's so cold out......I've also had some nosey buggers taking a look!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	2382074

Comment

Made up a 30 L batch of seedling mix (vermicompost + coir + vermiculite) in preparation for sowing chillies and aubergines.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X