Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was freezing here today, which didn't worry me initially as I headed off to Lincoln for a uni session. When I got home, I cleaned all of downstairs, which I'd neglected to do for weeks. Since I cleared out all the seed sowing stuff to the outdoor seed sowing station, I figured I had to get on with the cleaning up afterwards lol
    I moved the bean frame out to the van so that can go up to the allotment tomorrow, and sat down to plan my activities over the next two days.
    I took receipt of my plastic cover for the polytunnel on Thursday, but I doubt it will be calm enough this weekend to get it on. Tomorrow will mainly cover horse manure shovelling, digging around the poly frame, prepping the greenhouse on the allotment and pull weeds, then pull some more weeds
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• But VC it's only the 4th. You need to dig 'em out and stick' em in the fridge for 10 days.

Well I took more bags of grass down to the plot today.

Done another video of the fruit tour - things haven't changed much since the last time.

I've still got one bed with weed membrane lining the bottom of the bed that I need to dig out - the problem is that its planted out with a range of perennial crops and there's always something growing through the year.

Took the plunge and started transplanting the plants - they'll either make it or not. I had 2 Babingtons Leeks I had planted in the bed, so I dug out the 40 leeks and transplanted them (I didn't bother just yet with the 10 sandleeks I planted as there's probably 250 of them). All the Babingtons bulbs were pregnant and had small bulbs developing on them next to their own bulbs - even the itsy bitsy bulbs whose leaves looked just like a blade of grass. This, combined with the other perennial and perennialised leeks, should mean that I don't have to bother planting leeks next year, year after, so on and so forth.

I also dug up the Sorrel Profussion (a non bolting sorrel), split it up and planted it into it's new home. Boy, they don't 'alf have strong tap roots - it had pushed its way through the weed membrane. You can tell that they're related to the docks.

Fed the garlic and overwintered shallots and onions. Mulched the oerprie, topped up the compost bins with the grass to offset the twigs in them.

Harvested the last of the annual leeks and two shopper bags full of chard.

Got home and hurrah - the video has sound https://youtu.be/zwF3D459I-g

Oh, and the kiwi has flower bud as well.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	kiwi 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2383438

Name:	kiwi 2.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2383439

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Not often a poster but feel good this morning. Only a container garden and a large veg trug. Been away for three weeks so weeded the pots, planted out my plants I bought whilst away, sowed dwarf beans in trug, then dug out my compost bin to earth up my container spuds. Amazing how little creatures turn kitchen veg waste, paper etc into viable compost. All this despite my arthritis, although helped by plenty of rests and cups of tea. A good three hours work. Now for lunch and Bingo tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          But VC it's only the 4th. You need to dig 'em out and stick' em in the fridge for 10 days.

Well I took more bags of grass down to the plot today.

Done another video of the fruit tour - things haven't changed much since the last time.

I've still got one bed with weed membrane lining the bottom of the bed that I need to dig out - the problem is that its planted out with a range of perennial crops and there's always something growing through the year.

Took the plunge and started transplanting the plants - they'll either make it or not. I had 2 Babingtons Leeks I had planted in the bed, so I dug out the 40 leeks and transplanted them (I didn't bother just yet with the 10 sandleeks I planted as there's probably 250 of them). All the Babingtons bulbs were pregnant and had small bulbs developing on them next to their own bulbs - even the itsy bitsy bulbs whose leaves looked just like a blade of grass. This, combined with the other perennial and perennialised leeks, should mean that I don't have to bother planting leeks next year, year after, so on and so forth.

I also dug up the Sorrel Profussion (a non bolting sorrel), split it up and planted it into it's new home. Boy, they don't 'alf have strong tap roots - it had pushed its way through the weed membrane. You can tell that they're related to the docks.

Fed the garlic and overwintered shallots and onions. Mulched the oerprie, topped up the compost bins with the grass to offset the twigs in them.

Harvested the last of the annual leeks and two shopper bags full of chard.

Got home and hurrah - the video has sound https://youtu.be/zwF3D459I-g

Oh, and the kiwi has flower bud as well.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]86526[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]86527[/ATTACH]
          Just watched your youtube vid, great to watch, fantastic!
          sigpic

Comment

• I've been playing with trains

Name:	BM1K9356.jpg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2383448

FULL SIZED ONES lol

Comment

• Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
              Just watched your youtube vid, great to watch, fantastic!
              Thanks

Originally posted by burnie View Post
              I've been playing with trains
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]86536[/ATTACH]

FULL SIZED ONES lol
              I bet you are really chuff chuff chuffed with that

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• I found an unlabelled jar of seeds I must have saved a couple of years ago.

Of course I don't need a label - I'll remember what they are.

Actually they're Gigantes Runner Beans. But they mustn't have been quite dry when they were put into the jar (wasn't me, I prefer envelopes for that very reason) so I had a jar of 2 year old slightly mouldy seeds. The obvious thing to do is to sow them and see.

I sorted out two groups - the good (or the "if I had bought seeds in that condition I'd be screaming blue murder" group) and then the worst seeds.

They were soaked them overnight and I have sown them and popped them into the propagator after all, what's the worst that can happen.

Actually the worst thing that can happen is that they all germinate as where am I going to put 64 climbing runner bean plants?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• The guy I was with is a pal of the owner of the loco, would love to have a ride on it lol.

Comment

• Very little gardening this weekend. Apart from showing someone round the garden and sending them home with some plants. Picked up a replacement sofa yesterday and getting our little boat ready to go back in the water today.

Comment

• Weeded around the Elephant garlic in Bed 5.
                      Sowed seeds in modules of:-
                      Estoril Savoy cabbage
                      East Friesian Palm Kale
                      Eucalyptus citriodora
                      and Early Nantes carrots in 2 buckets.
                      Planted out 2 Erysimum Variegatum that I bought recently.

SP will have spotted the theme here.

Comment

• I got the plastic for the polytunnel earlier this week so I'm on a mission to get the trench dug and the doors made for it, so that the plastic can go on.
                        With that in mind, I went up to the allotment today, and got half of the trench dug that was left to do. I planted out some peas (Alderman) and sugar snap Oregon, along with some cabbage (not sure what type - the cats tipped a tray in the greenhouse and lost the label!).
                        I had been out sowing in the garden the other night, and left a whole host of seeds outside by mistake, all of which now soaked through by rain water. I took all the seeds with me to the allotment and sowed three rows of french beans, and one row of mystery beans gathered from the bottom of my seed box.
                        I weeded the 90 foot bed, that is now almost half planted up, took about five minutes. I'm liking this no dig malarkey!
                        Weeded the potato bed which is mainly using soil that was found on top of the carpets on the first plot - only a quarter in size compared to the first bed, but took nearly 45 minutes to weed properly.
                        I dragged all the carpet that I'd saved to use for paths over to the second plot and laid them out on the grass that is getting really quite tall now. Laid out cardboard for a new bed with a pallet on top until I can bring some more horse manure tomorrow.
                        Dug a hole for my surprise gift of wild garlic that a friend gave me in the shady part of the plot.
                        Watered everything with the new spray gun - yay!
                        Got home and sowed all the remaining wet seeds.
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I made a start on deadheading my hydrangea bushes that are all along the front of the house. Better late than never I suppose!
                          Friend came round and told me I should have done it weeks ago. “You ought to deadhead those hydrangeas, you know”.
                          Of course I know- but why didn’t she notice all the things I have done!
                          If I had deadheaded the hydrangeas she’d have said “you ought to dig up all those irises, they’re really taking over”. Or “you ought to have pricked out those cosmos by now, you know”.
                          Grrrr - only so many hours in the day!!
                          Sorry to whinge!!

Comment

• Made a start on moving the brassica cage, but discovered the netting had shrunk in transit (!) so is going to need some fettling ...
                            Sowed parsnips.
                            Harvested some broccoli raab and rhubarb
                            Made rhubarb sponge and custard ;-)

Comment

• Mmmmm! Rhubarb sponge and custard. Yummus!!
                              Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                              Made a start on moving the brassica cage, but discovered the netting had shrunk in transit (!) so is going to need some fettling ...
                              Sowed parsnips.
                              Harvested some broccoli raab and rhubarb
                              Made rhubarb sponge and custard ;-)

Comment

• Suddenly rhubarb is causing all my joints to ache, the oxalyic acid has never bothered me before, this getting old malarkey is getting to be a bit tedious lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X