No announcement yet.

Seeds I'll never try to grow again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got 2 year old spring onions in my veg patch and they still aren't 'proper' size yet!
    I'm trying one different variety and if that doesn't work then never again.

Comment

Yard long beans, even tried in polytunnel and greenhouse got about three long pods too much work and not too nice to eat.

Comment

Gilfeather's turnip-swede. First year growing swedes and they were badly hit by powdery mildew so we've ended up with a bunch of tiddlers. Will swap out for a more resistant variety.

Santoh pak choi. Fast and easy to grow but not the type of pak choi I like to eat. Will replace with a more standard variety.

Napia pepper. Productive but very thin-walled. Will replace with something more substantial and thicker fleshed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          My never again is also aubergines like Chippy says at least the flowers are pretty but after many failures I've given up.

Also Leeks mine never get much past pencil thickness

Pac choi always bolts no matter when I sow it.
          Adding Broad beans to the list for the second year running I've hardly had any beans probably the same amount as you buy in two tins.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Not sure if they count on this thread but everbearing strawberries are the failure here. Rarely get enough at once, even in greenhouse. Think early maincrop like Christine in greenhouse better use of effort

Comment

At the rate I'm going at the moment all seeds............................
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                Not sure if they count on this thread but everbearing strawberries are the failure here. Rarely get enough at once, even in greenhouse. Think early maincrop like Christine in greenhouse better use of effort
                I have problems with everbearing strawberries too. The wasps in this area have definitely developed a taste for ripening strawberry, with the result that by the time the fruit turns red it is being carved up and carried off by the little blighters. I can't put insect mesh round the plants because of the continuing need for pollination, so I'm a bit stuck.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                  Easy - anything with the word "onion" in it.
                  White, red, spring. "Onion anything" or "anything onion", even just plain "onion".

Generally totally useless, never got anything to call an onion. How does an onion set come out smaller then it went in?

Half do a disappearing trick overnight.

Annoyingly is they cost so little at the supermarket that they seem pointless attempting.
                  Me too ... last year I gave 2 other plot holders some onions and leeks cos i had too many, theirs grew, mine stayed the same, spread them around my plot, still nowt .... still had them this year, still same size, though at least they all grew greenery this year, which they didn't last year (even sets)

so I've spent the last 2 years digging, removing mares tail and bindweed, chucking manure, compost and other "soil improvements" In to get better soil, testing ph etc. so if they don't grow next year .... I think I'm giving up.

have 6 varieties of leeks. and 4 varieties of onion, and 3 spring. .... no onions next year ... I give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    ^That's worth knowing. Thanks. I'll chuck out that packet of seeds right now!
                    I love it i planted another 10 plants

Comment

my sweetcorn was dismal last year, and this year despite beautiful sunny weather, all summer .... I got 6 cobs off 18 plants all of which only half pollinated, so I literally got 6 1/2 mini cobs. the plants grew great, just no actual corn, though most other friends were the same this year. we've decided not to grow f1 next year so heritage varieties all round, we're all gonna get a packet or 2 and swap seeds around so we all grow the same. some in greenhouse, some tunnel, some sheltered some outdoors and see which do best. .... so if nowt next year, will add that to my list.

my sunflowers all grew amazing though .... but seriously, who can be bothered harvesting the seeds? .... just gonna leave them for the birds .... and think they'll be my not gonna bother next year

Comment

Whilst drawing up next years plan I've gone through the seed tub and put out the unwanted for the community lottie in Brechin, made me think of the rare occasions where I tried something new and actually plan/have to grow again, there's not many. Pak Choi is the only one from this year that has survived the cut for next year lol

Comment

Easy sweetcorn

I used to have terrible trouble growing sweet corn, then I read up on it and I now grow it brilliantly.
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM.
                          I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird

Comment

Goog King Henry - planted 12 and ended up with one chilli plant - what?! Also no response from angelica or sweet cicely seeds; carrots and parsnips are horror shows in my hard clay - no one wants to eat them ast they are repulsive. And cheap enough to get from the farmer's market (or roundabouts, where they fall off the back of the tractor trailers, if you are so inclined).

Yeah, I can grow radishes but found that I hate 'em. All remaining seeds are now relegated to microgreens so I can hide them in salads.

But I tried corn the year before last expecting nothing and had a huge crop - hubby was very excited. No clue what I did right, tho. And I am the QUEEN of celeriac - yum!

Comment

I grew seed which i saved from marks and spencers "sweet rosso" tomatoes. I then gre the seed on and the plants initially did really well. They were twice the size of all the other tomato varieties. I almost devoted more of my space greenhouse to them. Thankfully i didnt, they seemed to stall and ended up stunted, the fruit they produced was very poor and although the taste was close to that of those in marks and spencers it was a poor yield and not worth the space.

Before i grew the seeds i read online that the seeds themselves came from the big company syngenta. I would imagine they would be sold to the farmer (according to the marks and spencers label the farmer is an Andy Roe from lancashire) as f1 seeds. So if i save the seed from the f1 plant and so grow the f2 plant i know its likely or possible that it may not fruit at all or in a way that is not similar to the fruit from the f1.

It was a good experience to learn from but i likely wont grow seeds from tomatoes that i think are f1s again.

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by B Porcupine View Post
                                And I am the QUEEN of celeriac - yum!
                                Now that is plain boasting!

It's on my list of possibly not growing again. I love it and it's really expensive to buy here, but I can never get it to produce a decent root. I read last year it needs lots of water... Might give it a last go this year. And if it's nothing doing, that's it. Never again.
                                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 04-01-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X