No announcement yet.

Seeds I'll never try to grow again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Russian tomatoes main one for me. Have tried under glass and outdoors, at least three separate attempts over the years. Plants grow okay, not outstanding but supposedly good enough. But when fruiting, I've only managed to get single digit harvestable nos. from a whole summer's growth . Not worth the time and valuable space going forward.

Beetroot (in the ground) are another one. Slugs ALWAYS get there first. Guess I could try growing some in a pot, though. Hmmm..

Oh and any chilli variety where the fruits form in clusters at the ends of the stems and point upwards. Orange Wonder, Spagna, Guarda Cielo, all spring to mind. There's nothing wrong with these varieties per say. I just find them visually unsettling to look at! The fruits always look too congested as they develop, when the flowers start falling off they get caught, and any picked pod the stalk has to remain in situ, so the clusters always look untidy. The OCD kicking in, basically

Comment

Radishes. Red radishes, black radishes, whatever. I don't like them, can't grow them and won't try any more.

Anyone want some radish seeds? haha

Blueberries - I think I might give my blueberry bush away. It's just not producing much. Or maybe take it out the pot and give it one last go in the ground instead. Maybe.

Round courgettes are given the boot - hopeless this year, hopeless last year. No more!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spring onions never seem to grow well, very skinny and never plump up like the shop ones.

Grew corn once badly and vowed not to try again but have a free seed packet so might try again next year

Beetroot is either really small or too large. I think it's more that I have limited ideas on how to use them.

Pak choy always bolts on me!

Comment

Does anyone want some Sweetcorn seeds? Usual rules apply - must be a member of the Vine for at least 3 months and have made 50 posts.

Incredible F1 sow by 2018 (Mr Fothergill - 20 seeds) - Sent to Emarisa

Lark F1 sow by 7/2016 (Unwins Gro-sure - 30 seeds)
          Earlibird F1 . packed 4/2016 (Chiltern seeds - 20 seeds)
          Golden Bantam sow by 2020 (Kings - 20 seeds)
          Unnamed Sweetcorn. packed 2016 (Food forests - 20 seeds).
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-10-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Does anyone want some Sweetcorn seeds? Usual rules apply - must be a member of the Vine for at least 3 months and have made 50 posts.

Incredible F1 sow by 2018 (Mr Fothergill - 20 seeds)
            Lark F1 sow by 7/2016 (Unwins Gro-sure - 30 seeds)
            Earlibird F1 . packed 4/2016 (Chiltern seeds - 20 seeds)
            Golden Bantam sow by 2020 (Kings - 20 seeds)
            Unnamed Sweetcorn. packed 2016 (Food forests - 20 seeds).
            Lol
            I would but I don't think I've made 50 posts sadly

Comment

^^^ you've made 81 it seems emarisa
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Emarisa - for once I agree with Bladdy, you've made 81 posts and been a member for 4 years. (Must try harder ) Its the number on the top right of all your posts.
                Which ones would you like? PM me your address please

Comment

Well, I won't be bothering again with Golden Bantam - those I tried in the greenhouse tried to take the roof off and stood no chance of pollinating once they've bent along the ridge, those outside got a bit wind battered. I did get a few tasty cobs off them though. Gonna try Northern Extra Sweet next year, because they are supposed to be rather shorter plants so ought to fit in the greenhouse and hopefully will withstand the winds better. I'll also try a wider block rather than just a wide 3 rows too.

Won't be bothering with Hestia dwarf runner beans, rather a meagre crop and nowhere near as tasty as the Achievements which seemed to not know when to stop producing this year.

I've abandoned and dug up my perennial cauliflowers - the yield to space ratio is too low. They produced a few reasonable heads and sideshoots but then grew and grew and grew and...... I'll use the netted bed as a nursery bed for my potted on brassicas next year if they aren't ready to go in the ground when the butterflies start to appear.

Comment

Can I add my penny's worth? I tried the Unwin's Gro-sure Lark. Terrible germination rate for me and they were in date too. Post-germination they weren't that great either, but that wasn't their fault. Dogs, chickens, cats...

Comment

Spring onions. Never manage to grow any, and in any case I can do the same job with leeks.

Comment

Red veined sorrel - revolting stuff and I've only just managed to defeat it after 3 years of pulling it up.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

^That's worth knowing. Thanks. I'll chuck out that packet of seeds right now!

Comment

^If you're looking a nice perennial ornamental though, they look stunning!^
                            He-Pep!

Comment

Years ago I bought a Red veined sorrel plant 'cos it looked interesting. Its seeded everywhere. Normally, I'd welcome that but not this one. Like Bario, I pull it up.

Comment

Basically it's a dock with fancy leaves....
                                He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X