No announcement yet.

seeds for grafting tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to update I haven't had that much time in the last couple of weeks, but im planning to graft in the next 10 days or so, as I haven't even potted on my tomatoes from their seed trays, so first I will pot on, and then graft after a few days maybe a week after, hopefully it works.

Anybody else been tomatoe grafting lately?

Im liking your grafting method nickdub

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
      Just to update I haven't had that much time in the last couple of weeks, but im planning to graft in the next 10 days or so, as I haven't even potted on my tomatoes from their seed trays, so first I will pot on, and then graft after a few days maybe a week after, hopefully it works.

Anybody else been tomatoe grafting lately?

Im liking your grafting method nickdub
      Not sure you'd like my methods much if you saw them in action - as it is I got one success from the 4 I tried - a high failure rate, but I reckon I would improve with practice, so am not discouraged from that POV - the deciding question will be whether the results would justify the extra work, bit of an imponderable of course, but probably I'll try growing a few root-stocks next year and see how that goes as a test run.

Comment

I say thats a success getting one to take Im going straight in with my 6 rootstock seedlings for the first time at grafting anything, probably a bit over optimistic. I was going to practise with offshoots, but I didn't get round to it. Il use this year as a test run to see if I would do it again next year, I do like an experiment. Yes test runs are good
        Last edited by chillithyme; 19-05-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I tried mine - all failed. But I kept the tops of the rootstock and popped them in water...those are now ready for trying again.
          I'm not sure even why it went all wrong - but I think getting a matching stem thickness is tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I tried mine - all failed. But I kept the tops of the rootstock and popped them in water...those are now ready for trying again.
            I'm not sure even why it went all wrong - but I think getting a matching stem thickness is tricky.
            my best guess is that putting constant gentle pressure in the graft from the outside helps a lot - so the one of mine which succeeded used an old clothes peg on top of insulation tape.

If I get round to it next year I will try collecting up some old wooden clothes pegs and drilling out the hole so that it is as near to the diameter I want as I can make it.

Comment

Im going to copy you Scarlett and put the tops in water too, I might also leave one of the rootstocks to grow and keep taking offshoots, if they don't get too big that is.

Note to self must keep constant pressure on the graft

Comment

I've planted out 22 now in the greenhouse border and they are just starting to flower. Hopefully they will stay healthy as last year and not suffer from wilt as they did when not grafted. The silicone grafting clips at about £3 + postage are good if grafting small as diameter is 2mm. I've used them 2 years running now and they should do for a few more years yet. Last year none of the potato leaved (galina variety) ones took but this year 2 have. I've planted out alicante, marmande, gardeners delight, burpee delicious and a plum one as well as galina. So hopefully looking forward to another bumper crop.

Comment

Thanks for the update Mark - v interesting.

Comment

yes agreed, nice update for us Hoping for a hot summer like last year

Comment

I finally managed to get grafting today, Ive got 6 on the go, and like Scarlet Ive put the tops of the rootstock in water, and will get round to planting them in moist soil as back up.
                      Now all I have to do is wait to see what takes.
                      Last edited by chillithyme; 26-05-2019, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I read somewhere that tomatoes which are grafted are kept in the dark for a bit - so I tried another one and put it in a black plastic bag for 2 days - today it looks reasonably OK, so perhaps that is part of the answer.

I also wondered if any strong growing tomato could be used as a rootstock - so I've ordered some Big Beef Hybrid seeds - obviously they won't have the diseases resistance of the commercial ones, but I'm not sure I need that.

Comment

I saw that too, something about reducing/removing the light levels, I compromised and covered my plants with a wilko bag indoors, away from direct sunlight, and with their feet wet, to give it some humidity. I think that the black plastic bag will work

Maybe a strong growing tomatoe plant could work too, I've had some really strong tomatoe plants growing, which I was half tempted at using as rootstock, you will have to try and let us know at some point Though im now also tempted as I have some spare tomatoe plants.

Also some good news All 6 of my grafts took, I hope they don't die on me, they are still covered with the plastic bag, but now moved onto a windowsill, something about gradually increasingly light levels, before I remove the plastic bag, and then pot on.

Ive also got 6 rootstocks potted up, taken from the tops which were removed, so I can also have a go with them too. Thanks for the idea Scarlet!

How are your tomatoe plants doing Mark?
                          Last edited by chillithyme; 04-06-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

spotted some gardening spring clips in a cheapo store the other day (8 large and 8 small) for £1 - so duly nabbed them with the plan to make them work better for grafting by gluing some halves of tubing to the ends (I did say I was mean)

Be interested to hear how people's grafted plants are doing

PS the Big Beef Hybrid seeds have not turned up yet - just as well I din't want them urgently :-)

Comment

Sorry....I've been away so I've not done anymore yet - sometime life gets in the way my newly rooted rootstocks will be fine for grafting - just matching stem sizes may be troublesome. I will exclude light if I can find something the right size!
                              Last edited by Scarlet; 12-06-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

no worries Scarlet - other stuff gets in the way of gardening for all of us sometimes. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X