seeds for grafting tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
    As you are reading up on grafting, so am I, well actually watching videos on it

Yes..,good bedtime reading

Comment

I like this too, long video, forward to around 8 minutes in for grafting

https://youtu.be/R9GO1DzrfsQ

Comment

grafting chilli peppers, now that is exciting

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

Comment

^^^ I know...I need to read a bit more but very excited now

Comment

This process looks interesting - I'm going to try a few grafts on some spare tomato plants which I haven't got a home for. I wonder if a clothes peg might work as a substitute for a clip ?

If I can get the hang of it, I might give it a go with proper root-stocks from seed next year.

Comment

Well some of the articles I've read use sellotape.

Comment

Last year I sowed the rootstock on 18th March and seeds on 24th March, grafted them on 17th April and took them out of the propagator 29th April with 70% success.
                This year I sowed both rootstock and seeds to use on 3rd March as the rootstock last year came up quickly, potted up the rootstocks into very small pots 25th March (40 in a tray from Aldi last year but seem them in a few places), grafted 1st April and removed lid from propagator about 2 weeks later.

Grafting sets them back a week or so but they grow quickly after that. I used submarine rootstock from mole seeds (cheapest I could find) and they did OK in my greenhouse soil last year. and these clips to hold the 2 bits of plant together while the join heals, again from mole: https://www.wholesale.molesseeds.co....ilicone-zsn310.
                The best u tube video I could find is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwTCwlhFgo

I use what he calls top grafting and leave them in the kitchen out of direct sunlight but with a light on most of the time in a propagator with an old wet shirt at the bottom to keep the atmosphere damp inside. This is simple to do especially if you have the clips from mole. Just a slanted cut across both plants, put the clip on the one in the pot and push the scion in so they are both touching, remove some of the leaves - and that's it. Try to get the diameter of both the same when cutting (go up or down stem to such a point.
                Pictures:
                Rootstock seedlings 17th March (potted on 25th) and just grafted 1st April in propogator. You can see not too much leaf left on. lid about to be put on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomatoseedlings.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	2383265 Click image for larger version

Name:	GraftedToms1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2383266

18th April Taking up temporary residence in living-room, propagator unplugged now and uncovered.

Name:	InLivingroon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	2383267

Today in greenhouse with clips removed and ready for planting out - may be a week or so too early. The first one has removed the clip itself. When removing clips, slide them down and off so as not to risk breaking graft.

Name:	Galina1.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2383268 Click image for larger version

Name:	Galina2.jpg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	2383269

Comment

2 more pictures today showing them leafing up nicely now.

Mainly alicante with some gardeners delight.

Name:	Ali_gd.jpg
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	2383270

A mixture of Galina (the 2 in previous post), marmande, burpee delicious and san mazano.

Name:	VarToms.jpg
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	2383271

Comment

OMG!Absolutely fabulous info - thanks Mark.

No pressure Chillithyme

Comment

Thanks a lot Mark - very interesting - have you tried growing an ungrafted plant of the scion variety alongside your grafted ones, to see what the comparison is like ?

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                        Thanks a lot Mark - very interesting - have you tried growing an ungrafted plant of the scion variety alongside your grafted ones, to see what the comparison is like ?
                        No but last year got 109kg of tomatoes from 20 plants, mainly Alicante and gardeners delight. Best plant were 8.9kg from an alicante and 7.7kg from a g.d. The Burpee and san mazano didn't do very well, and had a lot of blossom end rot. the Marmande did OK. They were in quite a dry area of the greenhouse (next to quite a large sycamore). So I'll be planting them in a better area this time to see if they do better. Ungrafted ones would do rubbish as get wilt diseases (probably from putting some strawberries in once). Previously I've takenout one spit square and filled with compost. Plants then grew well for a couple of months but eventually became stunted and just got whatever fruit had developed by then. I would not graft if planting in growbags or outside.
                        I had 5 rootstock plants left but was a bit silly and composted them. I should have tried some peppers, chilli and aubergine on them, may be next year.

Comment

This year success rate was 32 plants out of 35.

Comment

Mark you are a pro, im taking notes , your grafted plants look amazing
                            I hope that my grafts take, i've only go a small number of rootstock to play with. Ive got some Alicante on the go, if i can get the size to match I will try to use those

yes Scarlet were are under pressure now
                            Last edited by chillithyme; 26-04-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Ive even seen a video of somebody using clingfilm
                              Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                              This process looks interesting - I'm going to try a few grafts on some spare tomato plants which I haven't got a home for. I wonder if a clothes peg might work as a substitute for a clip ?

If I can get the hang of it, I might give it a go with proper root-stocks from seed next year.

Comment

Tried one with some insulation tape and another with a layer of cellophane then a clothes peg - I've got some heat shrink sleeves for re-doing old insulation in different diameters - I'll give that a go too ( minus the heat bit obviously ).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X