Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Greenhouse, what to look out for?

Hi peeps! So I started a thread in 2021 about a new greenhouse

and we've finally got the money to get a new one. The old one is 6ft wide by 8ft long, that seems big enough, but is bigger better would I appreciate say a 10x6ft?

Is there any other things that you know when you've got a new toy/piece of kit/bathroom etc you think 'oh if only I'd got that/done that' instead?

Happy growing everyone, lets hope it's a good year!
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-01-2023, 10:52 AM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Hi !…lovely to see you SBP

Tis fantastic news that you can buy your greenhouse….I’m really jealous!

I’ve not had one now for about 15 years but I’d suggest you get the bigger one if you can - they are never big enough!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Hi !…lovely to see you SBP

Tis fantastic news that you can buy your greenhouse….I’m really jealous!

I’ve not had one now for about 15 years but I’d suggest you get the bigger one if you can - they are never big enough!

Hiya! It's always good to pop in to GYO to 'see' folk.

Yeah, I've rung round a few places for advice and everyone says bigger is better! Think we'll go for a 6x10 with toughened glass, more room for 'exotics' that folk in warmer places can grow outside. I'm determined to get bigger melons! Plus more aubergines, oh and peppers...

Just need to decide whether to get things like automatic vents and such, and whether to go value or mid range. Vitavia Apollo or Elite Craftsman or Halls (Eden) Burford.

Will have to cross off one of the holidays this year!
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-01-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Unless your greenhouse is very close to your home and you are at home most of the time I would definitely go for automatic openers. For me they are a necessity. If I don't get to the allotment early on a sunny day, with cold nights, I don't need to panic. Louvres are also very useful. I can't really comment on the actual greenhouse as mine are all ancient and secondhand, but do the job.

Comment

Automatic vents and windows are to me essential. The way the weather changes during the day keeps them working all day. Would not dream of getting a greenhouse without toughened glass. Any youngsters hitting the glass with a ball will be ok
          Bob.

Comment

Thumbs up to automatic vents for me too. We got a louvre low down at the back too, though tbh I'm not sure how useful it is relative to high up windows.

Height and shape vary quite a bit. Some greenhouses we looked at were high up the middle but low at the sides. I'm 5'9 and my tomatoes are 6' so I got one with higher sides.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
              Thumbs up to automatic vents for me too. We got a louvre low down at the back too, though tbh I'm not sure how useful it is relative to high up windows.

Height and shape vary quite a bit. Some greenhouses we looked at were high up the middle but low at the sides. I'm 5'9 and my tomatoes are 6' so I got one with higher sides.
              What brand is your Greenhouse Babru, am still undecided. Well what I mean is I'm undecided about value gained for money spent.

I don't need nor want auto vents - the greenhouse will be in the garden and I can easily open windows. Also I don't trust the technology! Interesting about the louvres, had wondered about usefulness of them.

I'm not keen on high eaves either as we do get big gusts of wind down the Vale. I discovered our old greenhouse hadn't been fixed down when I realised it had moved and the base was hanging half off the brick base! Which is another reason I'd been considering getting (think I will money allowing) bar capping on the toughened glass panes.
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 01-02-2023, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                I don't need nor want auto vents - the greenhouse will be in the garden and I can easily open windows. Also I don't trust the technology! Interesting about the louvres, had wondered about usefulness of them.
                Might make a big difference if you fancied going out for the day or taking holidays.

rary, I have a vague recollection of you once changing the auto vents in your greenhouse. Is that right? If so, do you have any views about their reliability?
                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 01-02-2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Might make a big difference if you fancied going out for the day or taking holidays.

rary, I have a vague recollection of you once changing the auto vents in your greenhouse. Is that right? If so, do you have any views about their reliability?
                  Possibly so. We used to get our next door neighbour to keep an eye on things, but she's had to go into care.

Can these autovent thingies be set to open to a certain size and at a specific temperature then?
                  Last edited by smallblueplanet; 01-02-2023, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Smallblueplanet here’s a link to Bayliss auto vents.
                    There’s other sellers out there but this one has a good faq section.

https://www.baylissautovents.co.uk/f...-df659858-192b
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Yes Snoop I replaced the auto vent pressure rods on some of my vents three years or so ago, and they worked fine, I think I will need to replace them all again, as I should have removed them before the sever frost, they don't do well with frost, I have had the temperature up at 26°c and they didnt open, the aurovents can be adjusted to suit required temperatures, I think they are very necessary in a greenhouse no matter what size, and if buying a greenhouse get the biggest you can, it worth considering the newer polycarbonate tunnels as they insulate as well as withstanding high winds
                      Last edited by rary; 02-02-2023, 01:16 PM.
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Thanks, rary. I'm sure smallblueplanet will find that helpful too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X