Replacement 8x6 greenhouse ideas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement 8x6 greenhouse ideas?

We've an old aluminium 8x6 greenhouse. We like to plant in the borders, here's pictures of it. It's starting to fall apart, the glass is cracked and broken in many places, etc. It's sliding off the base! We'd like to replace it with something similar. It has one 'high shelf' and an opener roof window. Where to start?

The only thing I'm not keen on is ordinary glass - it makes me nervous. What are my choices please? Can't afford a Rhino btw
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

A quick squint on 'tinternet came up with this
    Lacewing™ 6Ft x 8Ft Crystal Clear Polycarbonate Greenhouse in Silver with Base £543.99 (primrose.co.uk), might be somewhere to start, not got one, I treated myself to a Rhino....................

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      ... I treated myself to a Rhino....................
      Why was a Rhino a better choice then? Don't want to waste money - buy cheap, buy twice. Is toughened glass a good idea? Ta.

Comment

I've had my Rhino for 4 years now, during which we have had storms and all sorts thrown at it, including kids toys and not a mark on it, really well built too.I had the 8 x 12 which for a little under £2K including installation is for me peace of mind and money well spent, it's not paid for itself yet, but by growing what we like and getting it fresh and keeping me busy during lockdown, I think it was good value.
        Yes toughened glass is a very good idea, it is safer and more durable too.

Comment

I shall keep that in mind, I like the look of them. But our tattered old aluminium greenhouse was here, in almost similar condition, when we moved here nearly 17 years ago. But whichever I like it seems that lockdown/covid has meant delivery time for nearly all greenhouses is 20+ weeks!

Comment

What ever you go for, make sure it is fixed down, either rawl bolts into the slabs or use proper anchors set in cement, the glass acts like a big kite and the winds can and will move greenhouses about.

Comment

I just placed flag stones with one edge on the sill at the bottom of the frame and replaced broken panes with dual wall polycarbonate.
              It was already on the allotment when I took it on at the end of 2019.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                What ever you go for, make sure it is fixed down, either rawl bolts into the slabs or use proper anchors set in cement, the glass acts like a big kite and the winds can and will move greenhouses about.
                Yeah, when we had the big storm about 5 years ago it moved across the mini wall base and was hanging over one edge/side - not bolted down! - I had to literally shove the whole greenhouse back onto it's base. *eek*

Comment

We had a new greenhouse late last year. I went online to The Greenhouse People. I was happy to wait for delivery as the garden re-vamp wasn't quite finished. I had a 'Simplicity' 8' x 6' and used one of their recommended erectors to build it. It has toughened glass which he said would withstand a cricket ball at close quarters (I don't intend to try it though!). It stands on old paving slabs and the erector used fairly long screws to fasten it to the slabs. Like your present house, it has borders on three sides with a central slab path. I am delighted with it and the plants currently growing in it.

Comment

I bought elite craftsman 10 x 6 with toughened glass 4 years ago and very happy with it. Think it was about £800 not including installation which my husband did.

Comment

I’ve had my baby Rhino for 12 years, and it was worth every penny. A thrown brick bounced off it 😁
                      auto vents and integrated shades are brilliant
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X