Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem is that when you grow something that looks similar to something else, you have to try and see if they ARE the same thing and most times you can't find out. Tatiana seems to have the most complete list and she cross names things but even so ...

Comment

• Good evening everyone,

I would like to say thank you to everyone for the seeds, they arrived today and I couldn't have thought of a better day for them to come and cheer me up. I may not be as active here as you lot but let me assure you, the Vine does mean a lot to me.

Now I see I missed an awful lot of good information and will have to try and catch up -- it's so comforting to see that I'm not the only nerdy nutter when it comes to info on origins, descriptions, sources ... of varieties and seeds!

As for the Aranyalma, I got a few seeds from Virginveggrower (VVG) when I was still very new here (actually a huge selection of dozens of lovely varieties, a few seeds each), and VVG was/is a friend of Zaz (who was a mod at the time and had a close connection to the HSL so chances are that the seeds came from the Heritage Seed Library). I can't know for sure though. I didn't grow them out straight away and when I realised in 2015 that I'd better sow all the remaining seeds I had from that lot before I lost them, only one Aranyalma germinated, so that was lucky.

Taff also gave me lots of lovely toms back than, I was quite overwhelmed I just couldn't grow all of them, there were just too many.

Oh, and the Speckled Roman vs Striped Roman problem: Gerhard Bohl says they are the same (and I don't think he would say that if he hadn't grown them both and compared them). Even so, as I got one lot from his archive as Striped Roman, I put that name on the packets years ago when I sent them in, and the ones I grew this year came as Speckled Romans so I kept that name for those. They did better for me than the first source but I had them in the greenhouse this year and the Striped ones outdoors, so that may account for the higher yield and better taste. The fruits looked identical as far as I can tell.

Thanks again to everyone and especially to Scarlet for runningt his circle!!!
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• Has anybody else had any tomatoes from Gold Rush Currant? Mine are small but red, I expected them to be orange.

Comment

• I haven't but they should be yellow? Anyone else?
          Last edited by Scarlet; 13-07-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
            Has anybody else had any tomatoes from Gold Rush Currant? Mine are small but red, I expected them to be orange.
            I guess they crossed with something else but if anybody has any that ran true, can they save them and put them into the 2017 swap?

Comment

• I didn't grow them this year...currant toms will cross very easily if not isolated...but I'm sure I have some from previous years that I can dig out for you. Just remind me nearer the time.!

Comment

• If they're from the seed circle then they're mine Mark so I apologise - mine were indeed yellow.

I didn't realise they needed isolating, although they were entirely round the other side of the house to the rest of my tomatoes.

Anyway, my error, I apologise - I'll see if I have any of the original seed left and I can send you those

Comment

• Not to worry Vix , currant toms and also the potato leaves varieties can cross with others if not isolated.
                  With these varieties I usually bag just a few flowers with those wedding favour bags. There'd loads of seed in a tomato so you don't have to do too many. Mistakes happen though, even if we are careful.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has grown them on?

Comment

• I've got a "Gold Rush Current" plant growing this year, will see how it fairs with regards to fruit n keep you updated!
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                      If they're from the seed circle then they're mine Mark so I apologise - mine were indeed yellow.

I didn't realise they needed isolating, although they were entirely round the other side of the house to the rest of my tomatoes.

Anyway, my error, I apologise - I'll see if I have any of the original seed left and I can send you those
                      Hi Vix, I wasn't making any complaint, I have developed enough new varieties of my own . I've got one that I have been growing out for four or five years now and it seems to be stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Not to worry Vix , currant toms and also the potato leaves varieties can cross with others if not isolated.
                        With these varieties I usually bag just a few flowers with those wedding favour bags. There'd loads of seed in a tomato so you don't have to do too many. Mistakes happen though, even if we are careful.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has grown them on?
                        Never simple is it

Comment

• Ive got gold rush currant growing too,I don't mind what colour they are,I'm amazed at their tiny size,they look good for if you want to play being a giant

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                            Ive got gold rush currant growing too,I don't mind what colour they are,I'm amazed at their tiny size,they look good for if you want to play being a giant
                            Then it looks as though I've been doubly unlucky. Mine are 1/2 inch not currant sized at all (and red). Ah well, I'll try some of the other seeds next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                              Ive got gold rush currant growing too,I don't mind what colour they are,I'm amazed at their tiny size,they look good for if you want to play being a giant
                              What colour are they JJ?

Comment

• They're all green at the moment,this is one plant -
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2373634

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X