This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This looks so very neat and tidy! You must be a patient person

Fermentation can be a bit tricky. I find that a small portion (like in an egg cup) often ferments less well than a larger portion (like a half-filled glass with seeds from several tomatoes)
    How long did you leave the egg cup to stand? Depending on temperatures, I find that two days is often enough when it's warm, but three days should always do. If you wait just one day less than you did the next batch should be okay.

I have a little plastic sieve that I pour it all through, rinse, and if there's a little pulp left I press it through the sieve.

Drying works best on flat plastic lids. I have used plates in the past which is okay but the seeds stick to them, while they are very easy to remove from a plastic surface.
    ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• I bought 'Rosella' tomato seeds as the name suggests the acidic taste. don't think there are any hybrid tomatos that taste acidic in my opinion.

however din't get chance to taste as I lost most of my tomato plants to blight over holiday.

Edit: Rosella/Roselle leafy veg
      Last edited by Elfeda; 02-10-2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
        I've been in the process of fermenting tomato seeds in egg cups but one batch decided to start sprouting roots
        That has never happened to me until this year...I left them a bit long 4 days but it was very hot in the kitchen! I use paper cups filled to the top with water.

I'll put you done for those two.

Comment

• Can all grapes that have managed to save seed give me your final varieties so that I can update the lists, if you haven't managed to save anything could you also let me know.

Comment

• I have Berkeley Tie-Dye, Blush and some (not many) Red Buffalo Horn. All dried and ready to be packaged.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              That has never happened to me until this year...
              oh, I think sooner or later it happens to everyone It happened to me this year with a large batch of Gelbe Konigin seeds, and as I've got plenty of those every year it wasn't a tragedy.

But if it happened with a variety I really need to save, I would still go ahead and dry the whole lot - not for passing them on of course but there's always the odd one that germinates later, and so there might still be some viable ones among the sprouted seeds. I'd still give them a try the following year.

Comment

• Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                I have Berkeley Tie-Dye, Blush and some (not many) Red Buffalo Horn. All dried and ready to be packaged.
                I ate a red buffalo horn last night...I scraped the lovely juicy bits out and chucked them in a cup. Again, there's not many (I saved some a few weeks back too) but there should be enough to go around. Just put smaller number of seeds in each bag?

Comment

• as promised, Summer Cider and Red Zebra.

Looking forward to a parcel.

Comment

• Thanks Mark...scarlet rushes off to update the list

Comment

• I'm in with Legend and Mountain Princess

Comment

• Yes,I've saved - black cherry,black icicle & black russian they're all dried & ready to pack & label.

Comment

• Thanks JJ..the list is now updated. A few grapes have had to drop out and I'm waiting to hear from a few others....there is a little space if any grapes out there would like to join in at the last minute?
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 03-10-2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• I vote for Taff! Taff needs to join!

Comment

• Scarlet, I saved 'Sweet apetitif' from T&M plants

and

'Indian curry tomato' ..what is also claimed with surender's name. it's a sour tomato, but it tasted alot better when grown in UK climate

I got these seeds from india and growing every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
                                I vote for Taff! Taff needs to join!
                                Weirdo [edited bit] <---that was an affectionate comment by the way. I still have some of the seeds you sent me, not very many, maybe a couple, I'll dig them out and see if any are viable next year, if they are, theyll be on the seed swap next year

Ok, I can join with Black Trifele and Piglet Willies French Black...... if you want me to that is
                                Last edited by taff; 04-10-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X