• Show
Clear All

Thank you, much appreciated!
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Welcome sparrow100 and veggiechicken.

Comment

2014 seed circle

Would love to join will be saving sweet piquant peppers and achoca possibly some oca and aji lemon drop also rainbow quinoa

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        Last edited by snakeshack; 25-02-2014, 01:01 PM.
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I would like to take part in this, but would need some hints and tips on how to save seeds (drying etc).

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Have a read of the link. Tomatoes or French beans are easy to save if you have never saved any seed before...
            http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

Comment

That's very helpful, I like doing this sort of thing.

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Welcome snakeshack and Stu8706.
                Stu, the main thing to realise for starters is that biennial and most perennial plants don't produce seed in their first year, so unless you have something still in the ground from last year, you'd need to first pick annuals to save seed from. While realseeds are really good for seed saving instructions, I think with their drying instructions they've made it too complicated. It's almost always sufficient to take ripe seeds off the plants, leave them to dry indoors (about a week for small seeds, up to a month for large seeds like beans) and then pack them up. If you need more details please shout.

Comment

Thank you plant

Ill see what I can do. My daughter wants to grow a pumpkin so I will try with that. Also try my French beans.

Suppose I better grow the stuff before I start planning to save the seeds!!!!

Comment

I would like to join but don't know yet what I shall save. Thanks for taking the job on.

Comment

I get 500g packs of silica gel from work that are used to keep large communication cabinets dry in transit.I open them up when they are removed and bake the contents in the oven when I'm cooking something (saves energy) then pack into airtight containers when cool.When I harvest my seeds,typically peppers,I put about 2-3 tablespoons into a bag made by tying sections of old tights .the seeds are then put in a sealed Kilner jar with one of these bags and the seeds are usually totally dry in a week at which point they can be packed in ziplock bags or seed envelopes.every seed planted from last years harvest has germinated so far.There is no point in saving the little sachets packed in with your new camera etc though.1they have already absorbed moisture and need regenerating.2 they are too small to make a difference.you can however buy silica gel for drying flowers which would work especially as you only need to buy it once as it can be rebaked in the oven/microwave

don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Sign me up, planning on saving quite a few seeds, mainly my bhut jolokia as they are fairly expensive and some electric daisies but a fair few more chillis and such

Comment

Yes please, I'd like to join. Will have to do dome research here i can see!
                          "Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage" Anais Nin.

"Or according to the size of your polytunnell" Judy Elliott

Comment

I've just checked the forum history on this and not sure if I qualify to join the seed circle. The last update on rules was that you had to have had more than 50 posts - I've been a member for ages but I don't post much.
                            "Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage" Anais Nin.

"Or according to the size of your polytunnell" Judy Elliott

Comment

I'm sure you can! You save your seeds, bag them and post them to Plantologist, who then divides them up sends them back out. We won't be sending seeds in until October at the earliest - your on post 44 now...a few more posts tonight and you can send in seeds to swap in the virtual seed parcel as well!
                              Last edited by Scarlet; 15-06-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome Kitchen Gardener, HavercroftHomegrowns and judy2shoes.
                                Judy2shoes, no problem about the number of posts (as long as you've made 50 posts before the seed swap takes place - VC)
                                Last edited by veggiechicken; 16-06-2014, 08:04 AM. Reason: Seed swap rules require 50 posts and one month's forum membership

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X