X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Well, the parcel I just sent was 2kg: £4 with courier, £10 with RM
    yeh for big parcels i suppose they are better value - but for smaller packets, i should imagine royal mail will offer better value!

Comment

• I will never manage to get together enough dwarf been seeds for 12 although I have aquadulce cladia broad beans and with fingers crossed my cosse violette will be dry soon - I just need a little more sun

Comment

• Just a quick update. I originally said parsley peas and cranberry pole. The parsley peas did OK, but I only had a few seeds so got 80 seeds back. I've resown 12 to see if I can up the numbers. The plants look good, but no peas yet, so depending on the weather, I might get some more... or not. It will be 5 seeds per person otherwise.
        I have got latvian peas though. Real seeds advise using them as dried peas, but if they are picked early enough they are good as green peas too, though very small. The flowers are bi-coloured, and the dried pes are mottled. (10 seeds each, checked and packed)
        Cranberry pole haven't done well at all. Not many germinated in the first place, and I haven't any beans near ready yet either, so they are crossed off, though it looks as if TS has them covered anyway.
        My martock beans were under environmesh (they were originally just sown as green manure), so they were isolated and I have enough of those for everyone (10 seeds, checked and packed).
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I've got Cranberry Pole as well if numbers are down. That is if we don't get frosts in the next few weeks; they are still green.

I've also got a mystery bean, a climber with speckled red pods like a borlotti - but the dry beans inside are a gorgeous shade of pale pink, and are nice and fat so will make decent soup beans.

I picked them up at the HSL swap at potato day, liked the look of them at the time but then forgot what they were.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            I've got Cranberry Pole as well if numbers are down. That is if we don't get frosts in the next few weeks; they are still green.

I've also got a mystery bean, a climber with speckled red pods like a borlotti - but the dry beans inside are a gorgeous shade of pale pink, and are nice and fat so will make decent soup beans.

I picked them up at the HSL swap at potato day, liked the look of them at the time but then forgot what they were.
            Err did I get some of those? Or was that something else? I could have a look at my packets...
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Err did I get some of those? Or was that something else? I could have a look at my packets...
              Possibly, there were 3 unnamed on the stand so maybe.

Comment

• Right BarleySugar ive crossed the cranberry pole beans off of your list and replaced them with martock

If anyone else would like theirs ammending or more adding to their list - just let me know

Comment

• Matt, I've got Crimson Flowered Broad Beans that are drying nicely and I look to have quite a number of Borlotti Dwarf doing well (trying not to tempt fate here). How many packets of ten are we now looking at? 12/13?
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                    How many packets of ten are we now looking at? 12/13?
                    At the moment there are 11 members taking part, with the broad beans it may be best to put around 6 seeds to a pack (to help keep the cost of postage down), have a look at the first post, as I've put a rough guide as to how many seeds to put in each pack depending on the type of seed!

If you need any more info just let me know
                    Last edited by Matt94; 19-09-2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• Parcels from 0g to 750g all cost the same: £2.20 (2nd class).

I don't know if that's already been mentioned, perhaps it could go in the first post (message)?
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Parcels from 0g to 750g all cost the same: £2.20 (2nd class).

I don't know if that's already been mentioned, perhaps it could go in the first post (message)?
                        I put on the first post that I would tell people how much the postage would be when I knew how many people where entering!

I think it will be 2 large letter stamps will be enough! Which I think will allow the the letter to weigh upto 500 grams (just looked at royal mail postage prices)
                        Last edited by Matt94; 19-09-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
                          I think it will be 2 large letter stamps will be enough!
                          If the seeds can fit into the size specs, it's certainly cheaper, but "Large Letters" must be no more than

Length: 353mm max
                          Width: 250mm max
                          Thickness: 25mm max

Second Class mail | Royal Mail Ltd

It's well worth getting it right: people won't be happy if they have to pay a fine for understamped packets.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• like i said i think it will be 2 large letter stamps but im not sure! - i will have to do a mock up to see the rough weight and size etc

Comment

• Its the thickness you may have to watch Matt. I've sent peas and beans through the post and they're very hard to keep flat. If you use Jiffy bags they really add to the measurements

Comment

• what would you suggest then VC? - i thought 25mm/1 inch thickness would be enough - i will be handing them over the post office counter anyway (i luckily have one literally at the end of my road).

oh and i wasn't thinking about bubble wrap as i didn't think is was necessary!
                                Last edited by Matt94; 19-09-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X