Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I was a little worried about planting something that may take over or spread to other plots somehow - I'm new so don't want to annoy people by introducing soemthing my neighbours may think is "just a weed"!
    "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
    Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
    I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

Bocking 14 doesn't spread or take over*. That's the beauty of it, and why it was specially bred. It's great stuff

* unless you inadvertently take root cuttings by digging too near it
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My 6 slips arrived from EBay today but I have a very narrow garden. There is a space between 4 large, old fruit trees that could take some.
        How large a space will they take up ie are they likely to invade next doors garden?
        The gardens are about 18 foot wide.
        One side mows regularly so i can't see it establishing there but the lady the other side works full time and doesn't like gardening so the grass is usually quite long

Comment

Do people not feel it's quite unatural to be using a sterile hybrid?

Does anyone know where one can get normal comfrey seeds? I don't face the same issue as others in that I would be planting it at the front of my property solely for use in compost or as fertiliser and nowhere near my veg which is in a polytunnel at the back of my property so if it runs rampant it just means more compost! :-)

Thanks.

Comment

Most, if not all, seed retailers sell comfrey seeds!

Comment

Hi there, just wondering where I can get some cuttings from? If anyone has some spare I'd be happy to pay postage

Comment

Cuttings are available on eBay, once the plants start growing again (in the spring).

Comment

Originally posted by RonanO View Post
                  Do people not feel it's quite unatural to be using a sterile hybrid?

Does anyone know where one can get normal comfrey seeds? I don't face the same issue as others in that I would be planting it at the front of my property solely for use in compost or as fertiliser and nowhere near my veg which is in a polytunnel at the back of my property so if it runs rampant it just means more compost! :-)

Thanks.
                  Do you like bananas and seedless grapes?
                  The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                  William M. Davies

Comment

heck, I'm a sterile hybrid !

.. and of course, all cuttings are "clones"
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-01-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Wondering if I can take some cuttings in the middle of summer from the comfrey. One is getting massiver by the minute have been stripping the leaves off it to put under the fruit trees. But I want to be one of the people with about 60 plants! We're planning to have a lot of garden to mulch.
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        heck, I'm a sterile hybrid !

.. and of course, all cuttings are "clones"
                        Tea over keyboard moment!

On a side note I'm ordering some cuttings now!
                        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                          Wondering if I can take some cuttings in the middle of summer from the comfrey. One is getting massiver by the minute have been stripping the leaves off it to put under the fruit trees. But I want to be one of the people with about 60 plants! We're planning to have a lot of garden to mulch.
                          Roots! Split a plant in the autumn?

Comment

Oh ok, I was hoping I could split it now and not wait till autumn. No patience, that's me.
                            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Oh ok, I was hoping I could split it now and not wait till autumn. No patience, that's me.
                              You can in spring too.

Comment

Wondering if I can take some cuttings in the middle of summer
                                Yep, you just dig up a bit of root (try to avoid digging up the whole plant if conditions are hot & dry).

I dig up bits by accident all the time (whilst trying to get next door's couch grass out of my beds) ~ just drop it in a hole, water it in and off it goes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X