Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with a lot of what's being said and like others hesitated between the 25 and 50 option. TBH I looked at the seed swap section when I first joined and thought it was a great idea but it would be cheeky to join in until I had got to know the community a bit better. I'm also not very good at getting to the post office and didn't want to let any one down by being slow

Comment

I have gone for 50 posts first I guess the mean choice but it might put off any folk who post once or just pm people. I like the idea of the seed swap not being apparant when you visit the site and there being a waiting time imposed when you join but would the policing of this add work to our Mods?

I joined for the advice and community here the seed swap was an unexpected bonus. Like Incy I hung back from entering into the seed swapping side till I felt a bit more at home cos it felt cheeky and until someone wanted something that I had.

To the small minority who try to spoil things ........be ashamed.
      Izi

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        to my eyes, it's the swapping that's the problem. If I offer seeds, and ask for an SAE, if that SAE doesn't arrive (as it doesn't prolly 50% of the time) then the seeds don't get posted. Simples.

I like SAEs
        Fair point TS but is that not encouraging scroungers as they have nothing to give anyway.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

i voted for the 50,i don't see it matters as to what the post's are about,it's more about the rest of us being that extra comfortable in giving any details out to someone who wants to swap first first posting,also as has been suggested,what a good idea if they did post an introduction prior as well,peeps could still judge for themselves if they so wish,
          it all serves as a,please respect our forum and other members
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I think I've got confused - probably a permanent state for me - but if you're swapping then presumably you're also offering something of value to the swappee so there's no problem.
            If folk are just asking for the seeds for a SAE then there's more of a problem and I'd vote for 10 posts.
            Sorry to be so dense!
            Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by grannymem View Post
              I think I've got confused - probably a permanent state for me - but if you're swapping then presumably you're also offering something of value to the swappee so there's no problem.
              If folk are just asking for the seeds for a SAE then there's more of a problem and I'd vote for 10 posts.
              Sorry to be so dense!
              The problem is when the swapped seeds never arrive......

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                I put 50 coz I'm a cow!
                I still stand by that, but the following post is the best I've read so far;

Originally posted by Magiccat1978 View Post
                ... site I use has rules - You cant even see the swap board when you log in. You have to have been a member for 1 month and have 25 posts OR have 100 posts. After this you have to PM admin who will give access. I know this is extra work but it did solve all the problems they were having with people joining then not sending off the items they had agreed to swap...
                Although I expect the Vine's going to need about 20 Mods (and Rockers ) to control it all
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've voted zero qualifying posts.

I think there are probably many more 'lurkers' than active posters and it seems unfriendly to debar them from swaps.

It seems an awful shame to put up barriers because of a small amount of scamming. If I can't tell from the tone of a PM whether or not the Grape is genuine, I will simply assume that s/he is genuine.

I think SAE is a good idea. The cost should fall upon the recipient not the donor IMO.
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Magiccat1978 View Post
                    I know another non gardening site I use has rules - You cant even see the swap board when you log in. You have to have been a member for 1 month and have 25 posts OR have 100 posts. After this you have to PM admin who will give access. I know this is extra work but it did solve all the problems they were having with people joining then not sending off the items they had agreed to swap.
                    I agree with Magiccat1978, although it may involve extra work for the mods (who are rarely thanked but much appreciated). Although I've voted 50 I do agree that this could be racked up easily enough if that's what someone wanted to do, but if there's nothing else, then perhaps its a start.

Using posts and even time periods isn't really a fair measure for many grapes though. If, like me, you enjoy many of the fun 'threads' and only contribute occasionally with advice (usually because there seem to be so many 'experts' out there, and often being fearful of making a complete fool of myself), you might be perceived to have little commitment to the forum, its rules and ethos, which would be untrue. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I spend more time reading and trying to learn from my fellow grapes, than I spend posting.
                    A good beginning is half the work.
                    Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Well, I've no chance in the reaching the over 50's club let alone the 1000's.

its took me nearly a year to do the measly few I have and they're not Shakespearian words of wisdom. Never really know what to say as not an expert in any particular area.

As someone who probably won't be in the guinness book of world records for the number of posts they do, I am in the camp that thinks,better to give first and then receive.

Comment

Ooh, just remembered reading something about Seedy Sunday.

Perhaps we could set up groups like this all over the uk and beyond!

Seedy Sunday: community seed swap event and biodiversity campaign in Brighton and Hove

Comment

As said by others its quality not quantity if you set the level at 25 it is relatively easy for some to write some complete dross just to get up to that number, I was sad to see that some of these people have claimed to be asking seeds for schools, I have been extremely lucky with donations for my local school, I would not like to think other honest grapes who are asking on behalf of schools will lose out because of the actions of these few perhaps the same restriction should be put on the seed parcel too (i'm not implying the lost parcels were due to grapes, I just think it would be good to sort rules for that too)
                          Last edited by enrich100; 28-01-2010, 11:41 PM.
                          Thought For The Day
                          If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
                          Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

I have gone for the 50 option simply because I personally didn't feel comfortable joining in any seed swap until I had posted quite a few times, possibly more than 50 but I cant really remember how many, it may have been fewer.
                            I still felt really bad when a parcel I was meant to get went missing in the post. Imagine if it was the first one I had joined in on!
                            Also, some people find it really easy to post loads, and others are more reserved so it is a bit of a moveable goal post depending on the personality involved.
                            Possibly a combination of time as a member and number of posts would be an alternative or maybe if the regulars wait for the newbies seeds to arrive first before returning the favour, that could be an answer.
                            Using SAEs is generally a good idea.
                            As stated previously, on Freecycle you have to give first before asking for something.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by sweetiepea View Post
                              I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I spend more time reading and trying to learn from my fellow grapes, than I spend posting.
                              That is me, too.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I went for 25 but maybe there should also be a time specification so people don't just come here rack up posts and swap on day one. sorry if someone else has said this.

Like magicat has said, i don't have many posts as i don't feel experienced enough to give advice having only had a garden for a year. When i joined last year I took part in swaps as it meant I could try a variety rather then loads of the same item. Which obviously reduced cost and seed wastage for me in my first year of growing. I also offered swaps so I did give back :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X