This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
    Does a Newbie get a 'welcome' email when they join?

If so, does it mention the whole seed swap thing?
    They do - and it will be an option to explore maybe rewording that with links to some of the chat and seed swap guidelines when they do....well spotted!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      They do - and it will be an option to explore maybe rewording that with links to some of the chat and seed swap guidelines when they do....well spotted!!!
      Woo! Gold Star for me!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
        Although, following on from Seahorse's thoughts, in my case I have only been a member for 2 months, but have been swapping seeds since about 2 weeks...hopefully people can judge when someone sounds genuine??

I agree maybe a min number of posts plus an obligatory introduction...I voted for 25 cos, 10 is too easy and 50 could, if they are not a blabbermouth like me,() take months...
        I really dont know to be honest but as mentioned above if you are a total newbie to gardening as I am it can take a while to get to 50 posts. I have been a member since June 09 but am just getting there now Not because I dont want to take part but just because my inexperience means that more often than not I have no advice to give. i mainly read and ask the odd question

I know another non gardening site I use has rules - You cant even see the swap board when you log in. You have to have been a member for 1 month and have 25 posts OR have 100 posts. After this you have to PM admin who will give access. I know this is extra work but it did solve all the problems they were having with people joining then not sending off the items they had agreed to swap. I guess it just depends how much of a problem there is.
        probably no help at all but there you go - I did say I was not good at advice

Comment

I've gone for the 50 option because I've had quite a few P.M's with regard to swaps from peeps that haven't even posted, one just the other day (26Th Jan), they were Banned and rightly so, cheeky blighter. I fell for the sob story of one when I first became a member of the vine and didn't realise until it was too late..never again though.

Comment

Originally posted by Magiccat1978 View Post
            I have been a member since June 09 but am just getting there now Not because I dont want to take part but just because my inexperience means that more often than not I have no advice to give. i mainly read and ask the odd question
            That must mean I rabbit a whole lot, yeh I suppose I do but you can always get on the chat thread. Believe me you don't need to know anything about growing to talk on there....but your post will grow......
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I can see what's being got at here, but I'm not sure numbers is the way. I know that our local Freecycle group says you can't ask for anything unless you've offered something first. Problem here is that someone might offer seeds for a swap and never follow through with them. Should people asking for seed not get it until they've send person who offers it something in exchange? If you are offering seed, it's different of course. Hard this, innit? If only people wouldn't try to scam the good-hearted, we wouldn't have this problem.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I did say I was not good at advice
                Nonsense; it's all good stuff and we will take it ALL back to be considered

Comment

Do away with SAE & have it as a swap site only (as the base rule). The person with the least post sends theirs first then the return can be made. Obviously there is still the PM option for grapemates if you want to use SAE.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

It is very hard and i think that you can only make suggestions and guidelines and i think that we have to use gut feelings and common sense. i may be naive but i do think that 90% are genuine people and you can often work out the 1%. I know i do not have the largest amount of posts, but i am not always able to be online for long or i find that others give so much better advice than me, it does not mean that i do not appreciate the vine or the grapes, i have found there to be some wonderful and friendly people and i hope to be a member for a long time. Lets hope that more people join with a good heart.

Comment

Blimey, where to start?!
                      How do you prove you want to be part of a community? If you are new like me, asking questions rather than answering them! Offering seeds if you have them, answering questions, offering advice, smiling , saying thanks and hello...............
                      Sometimes the tone is important of what we write, and I agree its subjective really.
                      Length of time on here and number of posts and what is said and how its said is important in making wha is essentially a judgement call.
                      We need to look at membership time, number of posts and content in them.
                      But if I had to give a number of poststhen I'd say 25, not sure why! But all of the above would come into play to.
                      At the end of the day if we are pmd for seed etc and think we are being duped we can just say sorry that has gone, and contact a moderator, we don't have to enter into a personal debate with the person about why we are not giving them seed. Obviously recent issues are more disturbing when someone rejoins and launches an assault we all fell affected.
                      I have many seeds to pass on and dont necessarily want a swap for them, that is a personal circumstance thing too (not many want 17 packets of little gem tho!)
                      Hmmmm its a complicated one, whats the saying? "What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!"
                      Unfortnately we have to try and untangle the web!
                      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                        My head says 50, but my heart said 25, so I voted 25 (coz i'm a bit of a softy).
                        that's exactly what I did!
                        It's too easy to rack up 10 posts: you can do nearly half that in your introduction, then wish someone a happy birthday, then list a few seed requests
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would go for the 50 option. If the person is genuine they will stay and abide by the rules and if they are not they may go to another site where there are easier pickings.
                          Regarding buying the seed instead of swapping. You may not always be able to source the seeds you want plus sometimes there is just too many seeds in the packet and so it makes sense to swap.
                          Just my thoughts on the subject.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Do away with SAE & have it as a swap site only
                            to my eyes, it's the swapping that's the problem. If I offer seeds, and ask for an SAE, if that SAE doesn't arrive (as it doesn't prolly 50% of the time) then the seeds don't get posted. Simples.

I rarely swap seeds: it's very rare that me and the other person have what each other wants.

I like SAEs

Comment

You cant even see the swap board when you log in. You have to have been a member for 1 month and have 25 posts
                              I think that's a really good idea. No access until you've 'proved yourself'

Comment

I voted for zero,nobody has to swap

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X